Why become a member? ×

Homemade amp covers

I’ve got an Ashdown ABM900-sized amp that needs a cover. Has any one tried making their own such things?

All my other kit has Roqsolid covers but due to be being currently unemployed I can’t fork out £60 for one. I figure the main risk to amp heads is scuffs to the vinyl surface - any significant shunts would probably dislodge something inside, with or without a cover. 

I was eyeing up offcuts of carpet in my garage, or even thick cardboard/gaffer tape with a space for the handle to make a rudimentary cover. It’s only going to be in my car boot or a van at most. 

Any other ideas which have worked?

Gaffer tape is annoying for jobs like this - it's fine at first but after a while the adhesive migrates and sticks to your gear. At one point I lashed up a couple of temporary covers from old post bags and had that issue. If you've got access to a sewing machine it's all straight lines, though, so not the most complex thing to pattern and sew.

• Like 2

I deconstructed a leather sofa (destined for the tip on FB Marketplace), I drew out a 'net' of what I needed and my (clever) wife stitched me a slip cover for my cab.  Looks superb and very hardwearing.  I did consider offering up a service to BCers to make bespoke covers all made from recycled/upcycled materials such as leather but tbh the hours that go into sourcing, deconstructing, constructing... not even accounting for the time it would take to liaise with buyers to get the correct sizes, makes cost prohibitive.  

• Like 1

Thanks both. That’s a good call on reusing other fabrics. My wife made me a long weapons bag for wooden staffs and stuff when I used to do jiu jitsu by joining together some old jeans. I might include her in this conversation when she gets home!

I made one for my Rumble 100 out of some old curtains, doesn't offer much protection against knocks but stops it from getting dusty and keeps the rain off it. It's pretty rough and ready, but it only took about an hour 

20240310_212312.jpg

• Like 3