Why become a member? ×

Who has an audition coming up?

Following @markbunney's posts about his recent audition in the brilliant 'worst auditionee' thread, I thought I would start a thread about forthcoming auditions...because I have an audition tonight!

This is for a Soul/Motown band, which is a little out of my comfort zone.  I'm used to playing rock, indie and punk and I've had to change my playing style and my sound to suit the band's setlist.  

Learning the songs has been thoroughly enjoyable though, they have a cracking setlist!

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

Following @markbunney's posts about his recent audition in the brilliant 'worst auditionee' thread, I thought I would start a thread about forthcoming auditions...because I have an audition tonight!

This is for a Soul/Motown band, which is a little out of my comfort zone.  I'm used to playing rock, indie and punk and I've had to change my playing style and my sound to suit the band's setlist.  

Learning the songs has been thoroughly enjoyable though, they have a cracking setlist!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Don't play Donna Lee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

I hope you get on well, what pisses me right off is when a band advertises for a bassist, so you make polite contact, send them relevant info etc, reply  promptly to any questions they ask , without being overly pushy or anything then ….. nothing. I wish people had at least some common decency to let you know yay or nay, and that’s before any audition!! After all, they are the ones supposedly seeking someone!! 
sorry, rant over 🤣.Hope it goes well x 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't get it.  The other auditionee was better than me🙁  Or rather I wasn't good enough.  I've never played soul and Motown before and was a bit nervous.

Never mind...back to Joinmyband!

• Sad 3

On 15/03/2024 at 19:29, BillyBass said:

I didn't get it.  The other auditionee was better than me🙁  Or rather I wasn't good enough.  I've never played soul and Motown before and was a bit nervous.

Never mind...back to Joinmyband!

Nevermind, at least you got to learn some new songs and play with some different people, which is never a bad thing.

Good luck finding something else.

I’ve put (another!) ad on join my band, and will try and get to one of the local jam nights next week in a bid to find something 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, markbunney said:

Nevermind, at least you got to learn some new songs and play with some different people, which is never a bad thing.

Good luck finding something else.

I’ve put (another!) ad on join my band, and will try and get to one of the local jam nights next week in a bid to find something 

That's how I see it.  I've never played Soul and Motown before and I was most certainly out of my comfort zone but I like learning songs so all is good.  I tried to reign in my rock bassist habits a bit and I think I came across as a bit underwhelming.  I lacked the groove necessary according to the feedback I got.

Still, now the tone control is back on full, there is a pick back in my fingers and the round wound strings through GK amps can be heard in their full glory.

I've been back on Joinmyband too, I've got in touch with a drummer and we have started learning a few 70s 80s rock songs before a meet in a couple of weeks; hopefully a covers band will rise out of the ashes.

And I'm tempted to go to a local pub that has an open mic/jam tonight.

Good luck with your search too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1