Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Special USA 1980 now traded
£1250
Lancaster

ash

Sale only and a very reduced price for a nice old Fender.
The bass is a 1980/81 Fender Precision Special. They weren’t made for long and are quite rare. This one is in Lake Placid Blue and has all the original brass and gold plated hardware. I even found the thumb rest that is made from solid brass hiding in a box when I moved house recently. 
Pickup is the original Fender and I had one side recently repaired by Aaron Armstrong. You will notice that the bass is wired passively. I still have the active circuit and extra brass knob but the circuit will need attention as it wasn’t working at all when I bought this back (I’ve owned this bass twice). It still sounds great as a passive bass however. The scratchplate is original and the extra holes have been plugged with removable plastic caps. I believe a non-original LED may have been fitted at some point as there is an extra plugged hole. 
It has dings aplenty as it has been gigged a lot over its 40+ years. Frets are in good order as is the trussrod. Action is nice and low and it is currently wearing Dean Markley Blue Steel heavy gauge strings. It’s got some tone to it and it’s a heavy bass at around 4.8kgs. The brass parts are heavy and when I was gigging it I had it fitted with lightweight tuners and a spiral bridge to cut down the weight. That said it’s a lot less than some 70’s Precisions I’ve played. The original Fender case is included. 
I’m afraid I won’t ship outside the UK. 
Any questions please ask. 

IMG_6469.jpeg

Edited by ash
Traded
  • Like 12

On 13/03/2024 at 22:52, AndyTravis said:

In fact…the last time I played one of these…this was my face

(thanks @binkybongo)

IMG_7838.jpeg

I remember this day with great fondness!  We need to get out again when/if the sun shines again in Manchester

• Like 1

I agree with Andy here, lovely and my favourite of all of Fender's Precision output - I've had one in each colour apart from Walnut (and two in CAR I think) and each has been CS quality.  A bit heavy but reflected in the tone and these are generally basses that can be set-up with an incredibly low action  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ash changed the title to Fender Precision Special USA 1980 Sale or Trades Now £1185

My first good bass was one of those in the exact same colour. It was also wired passive which just made it sound like a great Precision.

The hardware did add to the weight a bit but it was bombproof.

i regret trading it!

• Thanks 1

• ash changed the title to Fender Precision Special USA 1980 now traded