Why become a member? ×

Sire short scale pickup change.

Morning Basschatters.  I’ve got a really nice Sire short scale.  I think it’s a U5.  I really like it but I’m not sure about the pickups.  It’s a P J.  I’m thinking of changing them to some that will just drop in.  Do you have any suggestions?  There’s no scratch plate so they’ve got to be a perfect fit because there’s nothing to cover up any mess that l might make if I bodge things.

Thanks.

Mike

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but have you tried playing around with pickup height? Often the factory setup isn't to everyone's taste, and adjusting pickup height can change a lot for the tone of your bass. Raising them can also raise the output.

I played a U5 last week and was very impressed with the tone, even if it had flatwound strings (which I'm not a fan of, I like the punch and zing of fresh roundwounds). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You want a P/J set of EMG Geezer Butler pickups! :i-m_so_happy:

They are dead quiet even without a properly shielded bass (as they are shielded internally, and comes with shielded wiring as well, with the ground running as a braided shield all along the individually insulated hot wire), and you don't even need to solder to install them.

And most important of all they also sound no short of amazing!

Oh, also they are quite reasonably priced.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1