Why become a member? ×

My wife is awesome

The neck is not that thick , comfortable , the body is large and does take some getting used to if you’re just accustomed to Fender style basses. It has a wonderful woody thump. The bridge is set about a third of the way into the body so it doesn’t feel like a shortscale. F is a good reach. It’s a true hollow body , does not have a center block , and is not heavy. 
So it’s got character , I love the sound , and enjoy playing it a lot. I’ve played some other large bodied hollow basses before so I knew exactly what I was getting into.

After I showed a picture of the bass to Herself , and she said “get it” I started the search. And immediately found three for sale. I was quite surprised. Now I’m in Nova Scotia and this run was never sold in Canada , two were in California , one was close to Boston and had a hard shell case. I made an offer on the one in Boston and received it days later. 
After exchange , shipping and duties it was a bit more than I expected , I was also dinged with a brokerage fee. And despite all that , am very glad I got it. 
So there was a run for sale in some UK stores and more through Thomann , there will be some popping up for sale every now and then. And some will find the large body too cumbersome. These were Korean made , so the price was reasonable , they have the expensive pickups.
They were a good deal !

With a little digging you might well find one for a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msb said:

The neck is not that thick , comfortable , the body is large and does take some getting used to if you’re just accustomed to Fender style basses. It has a wonderful woody thump. The bridge is set about a third of the way into the body so it doesn’t feel like a shortscale. F is a good reach. It’s a true hollow body , does not have a center block , and is not heavy. 
So it’s got character , I love the sound , and enjoy playing it a lot. I’ve played some other large bodied hollow basses before so I knew exactly what I was getting into.

3 hours ago, msb said:

After I showed a picture of the bass to Herself , and she said “get it” I started the search. And immediately found three for sale. I was quite surprised. Now I’m in Nova Scotia and this run was never sold in Canada , two were in California , one was close to Boston and had a hard shell case. I made an offer on the one in Boston and received it days later. 
After exchange , shipping and duties it was a bit more than I expected , I was also dinged with a brokerage fee. And despite all that , am very glad I got it. 
So there was a run for sale in some UK stores and more through Thomann , there will be some popping up for sale every now and then. And some will find the large body too cumbersome. These were Korean made , so the price was reasonable , they have the expensive pickups.
They were a good deal !

With a little digging you might well find one for a reasonable price. 

Thanks for the info, I will have a dig about for one and see what happens.

I used to have a White Falcon guitar, always a cool thing, to have a Gretsch

I shall have a dig about about

On 07/03/2024 at 17:03, police squad said:

Thanks for the info, I will have a dig about for one and see what happens.

I used to have a White Falcon guitar, always a cool thing, to have a Gretsch

I shall have a dig about about

outbid in ebay with a minute to go

oh well

• Sad 1

They’re about , but it’s been some years since they were available. 
I was quite amazed to see three pop up when I went looking. 

35 minutes ago, msb said:

They’re about , but it’s been some years since they were available. 
I was quite amazed to see three pop up when I went looking. 

yes the one i bid on went for £735. Quite a good price I think. I', sure another will come along

Not everybody likes big hollow bodied basses. The buyer might well change his/her mind.

It’s worth holding out for the 5123 because of the TV Jones pickups. 

Edited by msb

14 hours ago, msb said:

Not everybody likes big hollow bodied basses. The buyer might well change his/her mind.

It’s worth holding out for the 5123 because of the TV Jones pickups. 

agreed, it's also medium scale, I think long scale would be too much for me now, especially with a larger hollow body too

• 3 weeks later...