Why become a member? ×

Class D amp, potential flood damage !!

JottoSW1

20 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

As I said before I'm truly sorry for your troubles. Your amp is a minor thing compared to the rest of your belongings. We're hoping that we would be unaffected by floods a we live basically at the top of a hill. Good luck. 

Thanks. 75 feet here (ironically not safe in these circumstances) might be sufficient when the Thames Barrier is overtopped, presumably the pedal cabs will adopt a pedal gondola sort of arrangement . Unaffordable most likely.

On 11/03/2024 at 02:37, agedhorse said:

Ouch, that's a mess.

Thank you for your rational advice.

Positive grid have said if I send it over in its original packaging they'll replace the power amp for $60. Fair play as I bought unit 2nd hand.

A central london tech has said he could check inside safely power it up and put it through a few cycles for £80 in the event of success and not destruction. He's 20 minutes away on the bus

All the rest of my absurd collection of amps & cabs unscathed. Have i mentioned 13 basses ?. As I have no immediate neighbours at present and a bare living room I've been checking my gear out at fairly loud settings and all is well.

Laney Nexus tubes are looouud.

• Like 1

The Brothers have told us about how cold it is there. meanwhile we are still waiting for winter!!! We've had one decent snowfall but that didn't stick round for long. We didn't have to shovel any of it! Currently it's 9 Celsius here going up to 17C by mid week.

I had forgotten that the UK puts a water tank in the attic. I guess to allow gravity to move the water through the pipes. Over here the water is supplied under pressure so no holding tanks are required.

Keep us all informed about progress. 

8 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

The Brothers have told us about how cold it is there. meanwhile we are still waiting for winter!!! We've had one decent snowfall but that didn't stick round for long. We didn't have to shovel any of it! Currently it's 9 Celsius here going up to 17C by mid week.

I had forgotten that the UK puts a water tank in the attic. I guess to allow gravity to move the water through the pipes. Over here the water is supplied under pressure so no holding tanks are required.

Keep us all informed about progress. 

It was actually a mains pressure supply, as you can imagine it's considerable in order to reach above a 4th floor flat. 

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Late to this, but electronic components are almost univerally waterproof if they are not powered up. Dry it out and it should recover.

The issue is where the leads enter the component body. That area is vulnerable to corrosion when the water is not deionized. The same applies to the solder on the PCB, the tin becomes sacrificial and corrodes. 

My experience is that even if it is working, down the road failure will be much higher.

• 3 weeks later...

On a happier note here are some of the indulgences that remained unscathed. 

Thank you again @agedhorse. Will flag you when I post some gut-shots of the Laney. In my view it's a masterpiece.  Picked up cheap from Laney boxed as NOS for approx the cost of a set of the tubes.

20240402_001103.thumb.jpg.bac406aa7ee1e01d383dcd4aa72cb458.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agedhorse said:

Now that you have experienced flood damage, get that gear up off the floor!

This was strictly temporary for photo.These lived on various my late Mother's medical seats, under Roq Solid & Hot covers stuff.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 19:46, agedhorse said:

The issue is where the leads enter the component body. That area is vulnerable to corrosion when the water is not deionized. The same applies to the solder on the PCB, the tin becomes sacrificial and corrodes. 

My experience is that even if it is working, down the road failure will be much higher.

The critical thing is avoiding exposure to any electric supply until dry. Washing in clean, if not deionised, water helps.

My daughter dropped an early iphone in an upland stream, I got it and switched it off within about ten seconds although the screen was already psychedelic. It went on to last years.

I've heard firsthand reports of boards being cleaned in dishwashers successfully, and rescued things saturated in coffee by washing them.

Most vulnerable are mechanical parts like switches, relays and potentiometers.  And edge connects if not gold plated .

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The critical thing is avoiding exposure to any electric supply until dry. Washing in clean, if not deionised, water helps.

My daughter dropped an early iphone in an upland stream, I got it and switched it off within about ten seconds although the screen was already psychedelic. It went on to last years.

I've heard firsthand reports of boards being cleaned in dishwashers successfully, and rescued things saturated in coffee by washing them.

Most vulnerable are mechanical parts like switches, relays and potentiometers.  And edge connects if not gold plated .

The number of attempted repairs that ends unsuccessfully is grossly under-reported, because mostly "success stories" are the ones folks "brag" about.

Since we have to warranty our repairs, this changes the metrics because we don't want amps coming back again and again with continuing issues. Not only is this extremely costly, but it also impacts the customer's further trust in the products.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2024 at 14:56, tauzero said:

As long as you bin it in my bin, I agree.

Or my bin…..

I’ve quite a few electronic bits around my house and donated to others that need them that were chucked in skips, left outside with the rubbish etc. 

I actually fixed a Laney guitar amp (tube pre, 65w really nice) in exactly this way and it’s at a friends house who wanted to learn to play but couldn’t afford an amp. 
What the pros don’t want I will rescue like an electric Womble.