Why become a member? ×

Double bass sources and options - help please

Hello all,

Looking for some advice or input please!

I've been playing double bass for around 25 years now. It's been mainly my second instrument behind bass guitar and for the most part I've played in a jazz context. I started with a Zellor student bass for a few years then 'graduated' to a Bulgarian Kremona bass around 15/20 years ago - I can't remember.

Anyhoo, point is this. I've never really considered my bass, my set up or my gear. Late last year I investigated and spent a little time cleaning my bass up and attempting some basic TLC, the effect was fantastic - a significantly improved sound and playability. No surprise perhaps!

So now I am curious. Might I benefit from checking out different basses, strings or even set up. But where to go in order to do this? I'm based in Norwich, East Anglia.

Thanks!

As Beedster says, a good set-up would be a solid start. Even tiny things like a slight adjustment to nut height can make a big difference to playability and sound.

Then maybe do a bit of research on strings to see which ones might suit your usage, and buy some secondhand strings on here to experiment with.

If you're genuinely looking at other basses, the Double Bass Room is probably the best place in the UK to try a room full of basses of all shapes, sizes and ages at the lower end of the price spectrum (ie £1k to £6k).

Thanks both

I'm suitably comfortable in my own skin to look down this particular rabbit hole I think! Also, by no means set on changing the bass itself, that's just one of the many factors no doubt.

I guess the question is really any recommendations in my neck of the woods? I'm not blessed with lots of free time so extensive travel is a challenge, would be great to find something a little more local. I will check out the bass room you mention Joe

Cheers!

Setup is a good start, but you reach a ceiling, beyond which a better bass is the only way.

At least these days you can check out options on tinterweb whereas back in 1988 when I bought mine there was a lot of phone calling and going round places to find anything.  Still be prepped to travel a fair bit tho.

You get more bass for your money and more character from used, but also more worries.

Nowhere I know near Norwich.

Depending on budget...

Bassbags in Heanor (twixt derby and Sheffield) good for brand new low end to mid end...plenty of stock up to £7000 or so all impeccably set up plus good (if possibly a little biased towards spending a bit more) advice.  No snobbery if you wanted a shiny black bass set up for psychobilly...

The double bass rooms in Hastings, good for miscellaneous old basses from very little up to £6k or so.  Some lovely stuff, but the setup is maybe not perfect.  Also in Hastings is Gallery Strings ( where mine came from in 1988).  So a weekend in Hastings has to be on the cards!

Also:  little dealers, mostly repair but often have nice stuff for sale:

Tim Bachelar in Leicester

Lawrence Dixon in London

Finally: The "big dealers" lots of basses from a few £k to " price on application". They have more than is listed on their websites, so you still have to call ahead.

The Contrabass Shoppe in Walton on Thames - big stock; must be very expensive as nothing has a stated price!

Thwaites near Watford ( though I went in with a £10k budget and was told most of their stock in that range was out on rental to shows and orchestras!)

T&G Martin near Banbury...make superb basses in house and sell quality 2nd hand hand. Total experts, but cagey on stock and prices.

Turners near Nottingham... big showroom, big prices.

Tim Toft in Stone ( I actually like these people as they have a really good on site workshop) stock not huge tho.

Thomann & Cresswell's ...avoid.  cheap crap, badly set up.

Edited by NickA

As a starter you could do a LOT worse than posting a few well chosen photos on here. There are plenty of very apparent visual clues to big set up issues.

Full frontal, side profile of bridge (showing neck projection and break angle), side profile close up at end of fingerboard (showing string height), side profile close-up at nut, along fingerboard looking from above nut down to bridge, bridge feet close up, tailpiece/tail gut close up. 

String choice is huge too ... but if you're playing jazz the safest all-rounder is the Spiros you probably already have on. You might want to consider light gauge rather than medium, but only if you feel like you're struggling to get response from them.

Beyond that, there'll be less visible issues like string tension, fingerboard scoop, fingerboard flat-spots (ie string buzz), sound post position etc. Only hands-on experience could reveal that.

Playability issues are interesting. A bass can feel completely unplayable at first ... but you learn to adapt to it. It's very personal.

Usually no bass feels right except your current bass.

Just occasionally you pick one up and it almost just plays itself .. then you know you've got something.

I'm in that lucky position at the moment ... and as a result I'm distraught that it means I barely play two other gorgeous instruments that I've loved for years...

By which I mean stick with your current bass, there are almost certainly ways to improve its set up.