Why become a member? ×

New Cort Space Headless Model

BassApprentice

15 hours ago, SumOne said:

If I were Peach I'd regret discounting a new in in-demand Bass for £600 while pretty much every other UK shop sells for closer to £750 and are sold out everywhere. It's not like they needed to put that discount on to sell (unless they were B stock or something). Most price match though, so if Peach happen to do that deal again you could try with another shop that has them to try out.

It's a good Bass, my thought process is what are the alternatives for a well balanced, 5 string, lightweight relatively cheap Bass? The closest non multiscale 5 string alternative is probably the Ibanez EHB 1505, which is about double the cost - it's better in some ways but not twice as good.   

I'm sure Peach guitars had good reason. There's very little markup on musical instruments compared to other retail products (typically 35% from trade price to full RRP inc. VAT). Having worked in MI Retail for years, the top two reasons that spring to my mind are: 

1) They were offered a discounted price from the Distributor, possibly for buying a certain quantity, and have then passed that on to the customer to have the lowest price around and win sales above their competitors. 

2) They've sold for the cheapest price around BECAUSE of the popularity. Knowing that it's a hot item and having the lowest price increases traffic to their website, and even if prospective customers don't buy it, they're 'in the door' as it were and may buy something else. It's a very common tactic in retail generally, supermarkets do it a lot. It's known as a 'loss-leader': you take a hit on a popular product to get customers there and buying other stuff too, which you WILL make profit on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I'm sure Peach guitars had good reason. There's very little markup on musical instruments compared to other retail products (typically 35% from trade price to full RRP inc. VAT). Having worked in MI Retail for years, the top two reasons that spring to my mind are: 

1) They were offered a discounted price from the Distributor, possibly for buying a certain quantity, and have then passed that on to the customer to have the lowest price around and win sales above their competitors. 

2) They've sold for the cheapest price around BECAUSE of the popularity. Knowing that it's a hot item and having the lowest price increases traffic to their website, and even if prospective customers don't buy it, they're 'in the door' as it were and may buy something else. It's a very common tactic in retail generally, supermarkets do it a lot. It's known as a 'loss-leader': you take a hit on a popular product to get customers there and buying other stuff too, which you WILL make profit on.

Yeah, I guess. Perhaps they push for the upselling - they advertise a Plek setup for £175 with the Bass, perhaps they hope to also sell an Amp/Cab/cables etc. Still though, GAK, Guitar Guitar, Gear 4 Music all sold out at £750 (Bass Direct £700) so selling for £600 seems to be shooting in the foot a bit. I wouldn't hold my breath they do it again in the short term. Good deal for whoever got it though, I'm a bit jealous I paid £700! (mine is green though, which I prefer, Peach only seemed to sell one or two Grey ones).

Edited by SumOne

On 22/04/2024 at 13:36, edstraker123 said:

I px'ed mine on Saturday back to the guy who sold me it against a mint Lakland 55-02. He's just sold it again on ebay for £600 - so I guess we both did well out of that deal given the falling prices.

What happened there?  A lightweight headless to a big lump?  Not to dis Lakland, they make great basses I'm sure but they can be a bit heavy.  

3 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

It was just a much better bass for not much more money.

Also given the price drop at Peach,  resale on the Corts would definitely be heading in the wrong direction.

I like the look of Laklands, though some of their colours are a bit ordinary.  I tried a 4 string briefly in a Guitarguitar and it was a bit heavy, but not too bad.  I get the impression their fivers can be a bit too heavy but I wouldn't mind a light one.  I'm on the lookout for another fiver at the moment, let me know how you are finding it.

14 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Also given the price drop at Peach,  resale on the Corts would definitely be heading in the wrong direction.

Short term, maybe. Headless instruments are very niche and sales prices can be fickle on them, and the second hand market is awful at the moment especially for non Fender, Gibson and PRS gear. Anything less mainstream is having a hard time selling based upon my observations on epay and Reverb.

See that Bax and Thomann are now £655 / £659 on these => around £500 for a used one in the near future? That's decent value.

But kit doesn't have to be eye wateringly expensive to be good though. Eg many used Yamaha BBs