Why become a member? ×

Replacement neck for 35" scale 5 string

Hi all

So the neck on my Cort GB75JH needs to be replaced (fused truss rod, slight kink too).

These basses are not hugely expensive, so I really don't want to pay the near £300 that I've seen for them from some places.... nor do I want a cheap piece of pine.

I've seen an option for buying another Cort 5, same scale length... I might just do that... but...

So, is there anywhere in the UK where I can get a good (and I understand the subjectivity of that word) replacement neck without breaking the bank.

I'd prefer a rosewood (or any other darkwood) fingerboard, but at this stage, beggars can't be choosers.

Any help and guidance would be great!!!!

Kind regards,

Julian aka Glassmoon

Edited by glassmoon

A local and new-ish luthier might do it for you for less than £300, but it is a significant piece of work to make a neck to fit a potentially oddly shaped neck pocket in a less common scale length. The price of a refret alone tends to start at around £180. Add in materials and time - I don't know that anyone is going to make much money from it at £300.

I'd be buying this in your shoes, then list the loaded body on eBay and see what you get!

https://www.jimmyegypt.com/cort-gb35-jj-5-string-bass-black

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Oh wow @MichaelDean: that is perfect!!!!!  Almost the same bass.  Man, what a find - thank you so, so much!!!!!

As a bonus Jatoba, as this one's fretboard is made of, is nearly as hard and stiff as Ebony, way stiffer than Rosewood, and quite a bit harder too, and both way harder and way stiffer than Maple, which should increase the neck stiffness and stability compared to what you got now.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, glassmoon said:

the neck on my Cort GB35JH 

Which bass do you have?  You've written GB35JH, which I think doesn't exist, but you've linked to the GB75JH.  So I guess you probably have a GB75JH; but perhaps you have a GB35A which is an older "3" series and does have the "JH" pickup configuration?

2 hours ago, glassmoon said:

I checked out the Cort GB35-JJ on the Cort website, and it's 35" scale

Cort's webpage for the GB35JJ says 34".

If you have the older-series bass, I saw there is GB35J on cashconverters at £150.

The scale lengths:
GB75JH: 35"
GB35JJ: 34"
GB35A: 34"
GB35J: 34"

I don't know if the neck of the older basses (35A and 35J) fits on the bodies of the newer basses (75JH and 35JJ).

Edited by jrixn1

Yeah, I've corrected that stupid typo. Thanks @jrixn1for pointing that out.

I have the GB-75JH, the 35" scale bass. So I'm in trouble looking for a relatively inexpensive option... 

So on that note... Do Status still make replacement necks I wonder? Or is there a better option elsewhere?