Why become a member? ×

Guitar emulator.

BassBeast

Hello team,

have any of you come across a pedal or cheat (other than using a pitch shifter) to create a guitar sound from a bass signal?

Seems like a vague premise but when it comes to bass distortion, simply ain’t wide enough in terms of dynamic range (recording at home)…

cheers!

Recording at home? So it doesn't have to be real-time, then?

If that's the case, record the 'guitar' part on your bass, convert that audio to midi using your DAW, and then use a Kontakt library - e.g. one of the Impact Soundworks' excellent Shreddage series - to trigger real guitar samples.

It does seem like a bit of a faff, though, compared to getting hold of an actual guitar and recording that!

EDIT: Shreddage also allows power chords and tremolo picking to be triggered from one note, which may be useful depending on the genre you're after.

Edited by simisker
  • Like 1

I use this following link contains the custom settings in the Toneprint editor of my TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (works just the same on the regular standard big Sub'N'Up) that I used to get an about as realistic sounding fake guitar sound from just a regular polyphonic 1 octave up effect as is possible : 

But I really would wish EHX would make the bass equivalent to their Bass9 pedal, that makes a guitar pretty realistically/authentically sounding like a real bass.

That is a Guitar9 pedal to make a bass sound like different kinds of guitars.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, BassBeast said:

Thank you all. PS, I really don’t like playing guitar hence my question to find some sort of emulation. 

In that case fitting one of your basses, if you got on a short scale bass, with a set of piccolo strings, and tune it in piccolo tuning, that is as the 4 lower strings of a guitar, will give you by far the best result.

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

In that case fitting one of your basses, if you got on a short scale bass, with a set of piccolo strings, and tune it in piccolo tuning, that is as the 4 lower strings of a guitar, will give you by far the best result.

IME it depends what sorts guitar parts you want to play. I have an Eastwood Hooky 6-string which has a wider neck than other Bass VIs and whilst this is exactly what I want for most of what I play, when I am strumming two-note chords the strings are just a bit too far apart for it to feel and sound right compared with a guitar. 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IME it depends what sorts guitar parts you want to play. I have an Eastwood Hooky 6-string which has a wider neck than other Bass VIs and whilst this is exactly what I want for most of what I play, when I am strumming two-note chords the strings are just a bit too far apart for it to feel and sound right compared with a guitar. 

Then how would a pedal emulating a guitar sound be better, still using a bass as the basis?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1