Why become a member? ×

Definition of vintage

SteveXFR

2 minutes ago, Buddster said:

Where is the division between vintage and classic? 

And why is it a Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz but a 70s Fender jazz is called Vintage 🤔

In this case, it's purely just the name of a product line.  They'd call it "Blah blah blah edition" if they thought it'd sell more.

Edited by neepheid

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

I think what it means, if anything, is related to the person's reason for buying. What are you looking for? Provenance? Resale value? Some ethereal "mojo"? You do you, but you know my opinion is coming...

In my simple, knuckle dragging world there are two types of basses; ones I want and ones I don't. I don't care where they're made or when they were made - unless the date is important because of a certain characteristic was only available then - like if I wanted an alder bodied Gibson Ripper/Grabber/G-3 then it needs to be 1975-76). But I'd be buying that age because of the characteristic, not the date.

Just 'cause it's Neeps, here's my '75: alder bodied Ripper, photographed in '76, still got it and we're both 'vintage' in my book.

IMG_1411.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snorkie635 said:

Just 'cause it's Neeps, here's my '75: alder bodied Ripper, photographed in '76, still got it and we're both 'vintage' in my book.

IMG_1411.jpeg

Ahh, it would have been nice to keep a hold of mine, but a Ripper makes a useless roof over one's head...

Great pic!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Buddster said:

Where is the division between vintage and classic?

To answer my own question 

"Vintage: Denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind. Antique: Having a high value because of age and quality. Classic: Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind."