Why become a member? ×

Completely Unnecessary... But Still Glorious.

binky_bass

I had the same Marshall cabs with a Jubilee head a few years ago, sounded awesome! It's a shame Marshall stopped making bass gear, I always rated their amps highly. I've gone back to Laney now but would still love a full Marshall DBS rig. Shame I  couldn't be doing with all the weight involved, and sadly I'm not getting younger or fitter.

21 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Welcome to the club mate.

The VBA is an absolute MONSTER!!!

I'm lucky enough to have two matching VBC412s. On the subject of gigging it:

I remember not long after I took a 4hr road trip with my best mate/our band's sound engineer to buy the rig (it was all in flight cases too, which i still have), we got offered a chance to play in a circus big top for a festival slot. My mate turned to me and said "I flat out refuse to do sound foryou guys unless you bring the whole VBA rig!"

Cut to a couple of quite cross roadies wheeling the heavy b'strd in and me looking a bit sheepish... But an hour later on stage, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat as my trouser legs were flapping gloriously.

21 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever gig the Marshall, I might once just for the sake of it, but the Epifini UL901 and Bergantino 410 cab are probably going to be the 'gig rig'. Easy enough to move about. 

The Marshall is an amp I've always wanted, so when it came up (with the cabs) for a pretty irresistible price, and at a location on the way home from a business trip, I wasn't strong enough to resist!

20240213_191313.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

As a fellow six string player what is that gorgeous bass hanging above theMesa amp??

That is a 33" ACG Salace E-Type with a Blue resin/Buckeye burl top. Tis indeed a tasty beast!

• Like 1

I had three sixes all made by Carvin in the US. First was `a white body with a Maple neck and Ebony finger board. I still own that one. Next came a beautiful fretless in Koa with an Ebony neck. The thought of the wide expanse of black Ebony worried me so I had them install fret lines. This is my favourite bass to play. It's still here with me. After surviving my third stroke my wife bought me another bass this time in Walnut. It was incredibly heavy!! This  one I sent to my nephew who I discovered plays bass. He is studying at Oxford. He loves the instrument. Sound wise all three suffered a bit with the first and sixth strings. The pickups were standard size Jazz bass and I felt there was not enough magnet under those strings. I had them all changed out for EMG soap bars and they all now sound wonderful!!

Being booked for an appearance on Toronto's Breakfast Television I took both the white and the fretless with me. For some reason when It was our time I picked up the fretless! It was the first time I had ever played it in concert.  The show went well and later I discovered the clip of our show on YouTube! I was gobsmacked! It's the only video I have of me playing. LOL

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my Marshall VBA-400 and the VBC-810 fridge, sits mostly unused these days, as I use something much smaller and lighter for gigs.

One day, one day soon, it will be unleashed for the hell of it.

20130212_211556-jpg.2075207

• Like 6