Why become a member? ×

We’re good…Ahhhh

krispn

We scope and trawl and hunt and scavenge yet when we take stock on the gig and listen… our needs are 98% met. 

Buy less enjoy more. If it’s not working turn it off and enjoy not using it. If it works enjoy it for what it does. If it’s not quite right make the call and step on or don’t step on. 

be the antithesis of a forum. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 4

• krispn changed the title to We’re good…Ahhhh
On 02/02/2024 at 13:53, Lozz196 said:

I get where you’re coming from, for years I’ve always plugged into some form of Sansamp however recently I’ve got into the sound of bass straight into amp.

Nooo it can't be better without sansamp 😁 ... couldn't see me without it, like my crutches

Edited by danbowskill

• 3 weeks later...

I keep coming back to this post in my head and really appreciating it. A change from more gigs to more teaching has resulted in me thinking ‘do I really need to have all these different sounds available at all times?’ and the answer is no. I’m getting closer to having ‘my’ sound without worrying about replicating someone else’s sound or an expected sound on a certain gig. 

So as much as I’d love the new Frank Bello pedal by Tech21 I am insanely loving my Steve Harris and VTBassDI pedals more and more. Sometimes - shock horror - the sound you want is already in the gear you have. Who’d a thunk it?

• Like 1

Fair, it's kind of true enough. But Talkbass effects forum says posting on the effects forum along the lines of 'I don't need effects' is trolling. Basschat is an all together cooler place, but still, it's like going on a Darts forum to announce that you don't like Darts and that others shouldn't either. 

Perhaps I enjoy using and discussing useless pedals to try and meet that unnecessary 2%, and that's my call?! 

• Like 2

Yeah, but I don’t think this is ‘I don’t need effects’ - it’s more like ‘I have effects and I want to learn how to use them better’. I shudder thinking of how many pedals I bought and sold without really getting to know what they could really do. 

• Like 3

Well it’s a result of just having a solid board which has all I need. I look at the effects forums and for sale stuff but boring old me is actually really happy with the board and instead of wanting stuff I think I should buy I’m enjoying having exactly what I need. 

If the mods wish to remove the post/thread feel free to do so and slap my wrists.

I use a pretty decent sized board (there’s two Lightening Boy Audio 2020s transformers underneath along with a Thumpinator too which you can’t see in the picture) so I’m not against effects nor am I trolling. 
F18E91C2-182E-49E6-891F-6B38A57935F5.thumb.jpeg.02a9d7675e793419309293ff1a075048.jpeg

• Like 3

Effects pedals are a hobby. Like collecting comic books or coins.

Personally, i do use many different effects in my band, but even when im just messing around, i allways have my board plugged in. 

I find the spunds i can get inspiring which makes me play more which allows me to write more

As i move into recordimg, i suspect i will come to use effects even more.

That said,  i have created two perfect boards and i dont really even look at pedals anymore to buy. There is no sound i need or want that i cant create

• Like 1

I’m stumped at the thought this thread, or similar on Talkbass, could be considered trolling. It’s talking about effects. Given that a main motivator to getting effects is to obtain a certain sound we’re chasing, I keep thinking that, after basses, amps, effects, etc there should be a section on how to get a certain sound.  Chances are you might be able to get it with something you already have. That would certainly keep me on the site a lot longer than just checking out stuff for sale that I don’t need.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

I’m stumped at the thought this thread, or similar on Talkbass, could be considered trolling. It’s talking about effects. Given that a main motivator to getting effects is to obtain a certain sound we’re chasing, I keep thinking that, after basses, amps, effects, etc there should be a section on how to get a certain sound.  Chances are you might be able to get it with something you already have. That would certainly keep me on the site a lot longer than just checking out stuff for sale that I don’t need.

I'm not offended by it, but it's the equivalent of going onto a car modding forum and saying 'why do you want to mod your car and talk about it on a forum? Think about it - what you have probably already does what you need, be the antithesis of this forum'.

Talkbass Effects forum apparently had a lot of people posting on it to inform everyone that they don't need effects pedals. 'it's all in the fingers' and all that. 

I think most people know that searching through effects pedals, amps, cabs, Basses etc. and discussing them on a forum isn't essential to making a decent bass sound at a gig. Personally though, I quite enjoy trying out slightly different sounding overdrive or even useless things like envelope filters and seeing opinions of other users.... I've yet to find a use for them in the Reggae/Ska or rock bands I've been in though and I'm quite aware of that. 

• Like 1

Totally get that, and I’m guilty as charged of wanting to try out the next thing that tickles my fancy. I suppose there are plenty of posts on ‘how do I get Geddy’s tone on ‘Tom Sawyer’, etc but those usually end up getting shot down with ‘just be yourself’ comments.

I’d love a section where you could post a clip of a tone you like, list the gear you currently own, and have experienced folks chime in with options and possibilities. Then maybe after exhausting options you can decide if more gear is what you need. I guess what I mean is I’m all for chatting on any forum as a means of getting the sounds I want, I just don’t want it to stoke the GAS every time.

Edited by Gareth Hughes
  • Like 2

It’s not an attack at effects. It’s more a case of saying it’s nice to take stock and explore what we have and sometimes it’s nice to strip back.

I’ve already qualified that I’m not anti effects and the pedal board should support that. 

• Like 2

^^

I do agree. My gig pedalboard now only includes about £300 of  boring utilitarian Boss Compact pedals (TU3, LS2,  LMB-3, BB-1X) , and I'm considering if I should just with the TU-3 as my Amp has compressor/limiter, drive and EQ.  Playing in a band that does pub gigs really doesn't need much more than a few solid and reliable utility pedals.  

But then again, mucking about with differnt pedals is sort of a hobby withing a hobby, and this part of a forum is for people that are into discussing them. We could just as well say there is no point in considering different string choices, or amps, or cabs, or basses, as no audience member will really tell much difference. And we certainly don't need to spend time discussing the nuances of those things on a forum. Better than doing work though!

• Like 1

I like effects (mostly dirt) but trying to scale down from a RB 3.0 pedalboard to a 2.1 was an interesting exercise. Trying to achieve your desired sound with half the pedals was waaay easier than expected. Handy if we ever do a pretty heavy tour and I want a lighter/cheaper board to take. 

That being said I like to do some experimenting too and having a slightly bigger board with more options is great.

The Boss GT1000core and MOD Dwarf are currently doing a great job of minimising my lusting after new modulation and delay pedals. 

On 20/02/2024 at 20:48, krispn said:

Well it’s a result of just having a solid board which has all I need. I look at the effects forums and for sale stuff but boring old me is actually really happy with the board and instead of wanting stuff I think I should buy I’m enjoying having exactly what I need. 

If the mods wish to remove the post/thread feel free to do so and slap my wrists.

I use a pretty decent sized board (there’s two Lightening Boy Audio 2020s transformers underneath along with a Thumpinator too which you can’t see in the picture) so I’m not against effects nor am I trolling. 
F18E91C2-182E-49E6-891F-6B38A57935F5.thumb.jpeg.02a9d7675e793419309293ff1a075048.jpeg

OK, so ths is interesting.... just waiting on my Element to arrive. The main reason I was buying was for travel but it was also going to go last in chain before my D class amp. I had been tempted by a SolidGoldFX Beta in the same spot. Is there much call to use both? I guess you're using the Beta more for the dirt?

My board is designed for live with iem and/or direct to my amp, foh or both. 

There’s really two signal chains happening. The entire chain runs through the LBA 2020s transformer’s underneath the board after the Beta.  

So as you see it bass goes in:

Tuner>Beta>Compressor>Simone>

From Simone I have the DI out going to the Element to FOH so the house sound isn’t really that dirty but the wee bit of grit is tamed with the CabIR. From the 1/4 out on Simone it goes through the rest…

Simone1/4”>Enhanced OD>Fuzz>Thumpinator>Element>amp

This way I get filth through the amp on stage but foh remains civilised. It seems to work. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, krispn said:

My board is designed for live with iem and/or direct to my amp, foh or both. 

There’s really two signal chains happening. The entire chain runs through the LBA 2020s transformer’s underneath the board after the Beta.  

So as you see it bass goes in:

Tuner>Beta>Compressor>Simone>

From Simone I have the DI out going to the Element to FOH so the house sound isn’t really that dirty but the wee bit of grit is tamed with the CabIR. From the 1/4 out on Simone it goes through the rest…

Simone1/4”>Enhanced OD>Fuzz>Thumpinator>Element>amp

This way I get filth through the amp on stage but foh remains civilised. It seems to work. 

Genius!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, G-Lo said:

Genius!

Too many years with awful sound and I found a solution which works for me with the gear I had. You (quickly) learn to use what you have to make it work… which was the original point in the first post 😝 

• Like 2