Why become a member? ×

Good portable recorder that can handle bass?

danonearth

Zoom's line of recorders are really good. I've owned the H1, H4Pro, the older Q3 and Q8, the latter two offering video too which is brilliant for recording rehearsals (and for remembering what exactly you played!) . My current gadget is the Q2n 4K. All of these devices can handle loud sessions and don't distort like mobile phones and the like. The Q2n is also handy as it will work as a high quality webcam should you be doing online lessons. 

Cheap and do the job. 

• Like 1

Absolutely this ^.

Like Dood, @Silvia Bluejay and I own or have owned most of the Zoom range and we have yet to have a bad experience or own a duff unit. All the handy recorders from the H1 up to the H8 will do a fine job of instant, on-the-spot audio recording and teh video recorders in the Q range have pretty much the same audio capsules.

All I'd add to Dood's post is that the Q2n is no longer current and - unless you get a stonking deal on a pre-owned unit - you should instead go for the Q2n-4K.

• Like 2

One thing to be aware of if you are buying used is that many of the old (5+ years) H1 had a battery drain issue.  The current replacement model H1n does not have this problem.

• Like 1