Why become a member? ×

Can you Identify this Bass?

AlanM

Can anyone id1.thumb.jpg.f34cdf100d9d02b2e3bc90d0eb89f334.jpgentify the exact model of this B2.thumb.jpg.b558ce022a52a7133a5c107b0408f093.jpgass. It has "Aria" on the headstock, and Can anyone identify the exact model of this Bass? It looks to belong to the Aria Intega IGB family. I can't find one exactly the same (with just split coil pickups). 

Edited by AlanM

i think this is most likely the IGB-30, the std is a p-j model from all the ones i've seen.

the IGB basses are actually pretty good in my opinion, I've owned a couple and played a couple more, they're not flashy or high end but the quality is there and i've been impressed with ay i've played, my first bass was an IGB and i now have one of the short scale IGB-36's which I really like and gets regular use.

the Korean and chinese Arias seem to get overlooked which is a shame as they are well made and decently priced, I think that they just don't have the widespread distribution that other makers like Yamaha and ibanez have even though the Aria's at similar prices are similar quality.

this is of course only my opinion after playing a fair few post-Japan Aria instruments, I own 3 of the Korean made Instruments as well as a 1981 Japanese Aria Cardinal bass. there used to be a shop in Newcastle that was an aria stockist and was the source of my first bass as well as my Aria Classical guitar.

Matt

i've fancied a 68 since i saw them reviewed in Guitar magazine,

There is a IGB-77n on ebay at the moment, from the research i've done it looks like only 4 came into the country, I don't need it but i'm watching it and might bid at the last minute, not sure it will sell as the reserve isn't met yet and judging by the buy it now price i'm not sure it will. supposedly these had an rrp of £1000 in 2009ish

IGB on eBay

I have a saved search on ebay for Aria Basses under a certain price, I really fancy another one, maybe a fretless if they ever made one?

Matt

• Like 1

Yeah I saw that.....

Bit steep I think? but it's a nice thing. I don't know a lot about that model though.

I won't bid against you 😉, I can't afford anything expensive this month, and I'm already eyeing something else I can't afford. 

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Yeah I saw that.....

Bit steep I think? but it's a nice thing. I don't know a lot about that model though.

I won't bid against you 😉, I can't afford anything expensive this month, and I'm already eyeing something else I can't afford. 

I my head it's maybe a 3-400 quid bass? The IGB basses don't generally go for big money but this one is the highest spec one I've ever seen, the Seymour Duncan pickups and the figured top are only seen on this one, I don't know if I will bid, I have a feeling the seller doesn't really know what it's worth and has set the reserve way too high. 

Matt

from the description it sounds like a parent selling the bass they bought for their son 10 years ago,

the IGB-77 wasn;t made in big numbers so for a non-bassist to try and value would be difficult as there aren't any sold ones to use as a guide, their shop seems to be mainly vintage clothes so this is not anything they have experience with.

I will agree that a buy it now price of 800 for an instrument that you paid 600 for 10 years ago is fairly daft.

I'm hoping they re-list with a more sensible reserve, I have a hankering for something with jazz pickups and i do like the IGB basses.

@Rayman what is the string spacing on the IGB68/5? I play mainly 5ers but struggle with narrow string spacing at the bridge.

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

@Rayman what is the string spacing on the IGB68/5? I play mainly 5ers but struggle with narrow string spacing at the bridge.

18mm at the bridge.

I wouldn’t want to pay more than 400 for an IGB68, not sure about this model, but tbh I wouldn’t want to pay much more for this one either.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info @Rayman not sure if it's good or bad news, 18mm is my preferred spacing, was kinda hoping it wouldn't be 18 so I could cross it from my list! Hopefully one will pop up at a sensible price.

As I suspected the IGB-77 has been relisted, just Buy it now at £500, too expensive imo. 

LINK

Matt

it seems that someone wanted that IGB-77, I was sent an offer of 480 as i was watching it but I ignored it as it's about 100 above my limit, it's now shown as sold so someone has probably paid over the odds for it.

Matt