Why become a member? ×

Endorsements

AdamWoodBass

Hey guys,

Ok I have had an offer for a kind of quasi endorsement thing with a guitar company. I can't really say who they are yet as nothings confirmed and I don't want to end up looking like a prune if it doesn't come off!

My questions are as follows:

1. Do any of you have an endorsement deal?

2. If so what does it entail?

3. Do they look after you as regards to maintanence of your gear and expenses etc?

4. Do you have a contract?

5. Did it benefit you in any way? ie did you end up getting better known as a musician or get more work out of it?

Sorry for the vagueness on this, any info or advice you can offer is as always much appreciated!

Cheers

Ad

Edited by AdamWoodBass

1. I don't have an endorsement deal but I know a couple of people who do.

2. From what I understand, it normally involves getting free, or more often, discount priced gear from the manufacturer - this could be a percentage discount or something else like trade prices.

3. They might look after you well for repairs and maintenence so you are sure to be seen using their gear, but I'm only guessing. I suppose every deal would be different.

4. Not sure.

5. I think the main benefit is that you get the opportunity to work with a company who provide you with free or discount gear to suit your needs. I don't think it would get you loads more gigs or recognition unless you became well known for using that gear and were appearing in adverts and so forth.

It works both ways - it benefits you in that you get the gear, and it benefits the company because you are seen using their products.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so a quick update on this, basically I've just gotten an endorsement deal with new guitar company called Farida Guitars. They're distributed by Dawson's and are bloody wonderful bits of wood! I'll post a topic with some better pics of mine in the bass guitars forum when I get chance to take some pics but for now you can check it out at faridaguitars.co.uk. Mine is the FJB-20 with a natural finish, used it live on a big stage for the first time last night and I was not dissapointed. I'll be doing some recordings with it later this week which I'll also get posted on here!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='485898' date='May 12 2009, 01:31 PM']My questions are as follows:

3. Do they look after you as regards to maintanence of your gear and expenses etc?

5. Did it benefit you in any way? ie did you end up getting better known as a musician or get more work out of it?[/quote]

Hey man

hope this helps...

1. yes
2. 50% off, min x amount of gigs per year
3. great service, quick, friendly, helping us book a european tour through other endorsers in europe
4. yes - renewable daily
5. apart from cheaper gear, found it easier to get more endorsements for the band etc

cheers

ray

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='502959' date='Jun 1 2009, 02:23 PM']Ok so a quick update on this, basically I've just gotten an endorsement deal with new guitar company called Farida Guitars. They're distributed by Dawson's and are bloody wonderful bits of wood! I[/quote]

See.... they've had their money's worth out of you already :)

[quote name='Jase' post='502982' date='Jun 1 2009, 03:02 PM']There are generally different "levels" of Endorsement or Artist Deals.[/quote]

Yeah I got that impression. I expected having to pay for it though cos even people like Wooten have to pay for their gear they just get it at a discount because of who they are. Hopefully this will lead to greater things but we can but wait!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='502988' date='Jun 1 2009, 03:07 PM']Yeah I got that impression. I expected having to pay for it though cos even people like Wooten have to pay for their gear they just get it at a discount because of who they are. Hopefully this will lead to greater things but we can but wait![/quote]

If you truly believe in their product stick with them, regardless of any promo you might get through it. Good luck :)

[quote]I wonder.... is it just a strange coincidence that they make Fender copies and their logo could - just at a glance of course -possibly be mistaken for Fender's. Hmmmmm....[/quote]

This is true however (and no I have not been paid to say this and I am in no way obliged to say this) I compared my Farida with a US Fender in the shop and I prefered the Farida way before I was aproached about an endorsement. It is a pretty basic bass but it does do everything you'd expect a decent jazz bass to do and it does do it well. Again I know I'm biased but I genuinely think they're ace, they fit my hands and playing style really nicely and they sound really good. TBH I'm not really fussed what it says on the headstock as long as I'm happy with it!

Edited by AdamWoodBass

1: Yes i have endorsements with bass, string and Amp manufacturers

2: approx. 50% discount, and free promo material. and we're expected to promote these companies wherever poss. - live performance primarily, but also within my teaching business.

3: repairs that are poss in house are dealt with FOC, and a replacement instrument loaned in the meantime, anything that has to be outsourced is at cost.

4: not as such.

5: i get to use gear i believe in and love, and i can do it for less! we have gained exposure through our associations though.

as far as my bass deal goes, i have been using dean for many years, but only formalised the deal at the tail end of last year

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='485898' date='May 12 2009, 01:31 PM']Hey guys,

Ok I have had an offer for a kind of quasi endorsement thing with a guitar company. I can't really say who they are yet as nothings confirmed and I don't want to end up looking like a prune if it doesn't come off!

My questions are as follows:

5. Did it benefit you in any way? ie did you end up getting better known as a musician or get more work out of it?

Sorry for the vagueness on this, any info or advice you can offer is as always much appreciated!

Cheers

Ad[/quote]

Congratulations. Here's my view on it....

1. Yes, one for strings, one for amps and potentially a second amp/pedal based one imminent. I was approached by a bass company but that seems to have fallen through.
2. Basically, reduced prices on the two current ones although I am apparently getting a free something from the new one :)
3.No
4. With the string company yes. I'm obliged to mention them whenever possible in articles, and mention them on all recordings. Otherwise no.
5. Not yet, although the owner of the "probably" one has been plugging me wherever he can which is rather lovely. I should stress that all of the companies involved are genuinely ones I would use anyway.

Cheers
Alun

I heard when I studied music from my tutor who was a drummer in a signed band and had an endorsment deal...He said that when the band folded they robbed his gear...So I dunno what clause he had in his contract but he was also my music business tutor and we looked over some example contracts...There is a clause in some where if they "Give" you gear to use and the band folds they take it back...In a pigs ear they will!

But I guess if youres is 50% off the instrument is, technically, all yours.

I have an endorsement, I got a nice discount and get well looked after in terms of maintenance and repairs etc! No contract involved at all and I have a beautiful shiny bass :)

I did also have a bad experience with an endorsement so if there is something you are concerned about, feel free to drop me a PM if you want a bit of advice on something you may be worried about!

[quote]I did also have a bad experience with an endorsement so if there is something you are concerned about, feel free to drop me a PM if you want a bit of advice on something you may be worried about![/quote]

Thanks mate I'll bare that in mind, up to now though everythings been cool.

[quote]Years back all I got was a Jägermeister endorsement, followed by a little bit of sick.[/quote]

I can relate to that lol! :)