Why become a member? ×

What lined Fretless basses?

Linus27

Might be playing more fretless bass in a new project and fancy looking into getting something to replace the Squire VMJ which, to be honest is great but I just fancy something a bit nicer and not sunburst :)

What are my options for a lined fretless rosewood neck. Maybe around £300 - £500. Anyone got any cool suggestions? I do fancy a nice jazz but open to other suggestions.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='486234' date='May 12 2009, 06:35 PM']Can you handle a 5-string?

If so have a look at the [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=146&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=2&series_id=211"]Ibanez GWB5[/url][/quote]

Thanks but really want a four.

How hard is it to get a proper job done on de-fretting an existing bass and then getting it lined? I have the ideal bass but I don't want to get it done if its a bit hit or miss or risky.

Have a gander at my fretless:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44102"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44102[/url]

Not rosewood but Pau Ferro neck and fingerboard, a lot more resistant to wear and tear (it's got Elixirs on at the moment)

£450 posted i reckon

[quote name='Linus27' post='486274' date='May 12 2009, 07:30 PM']How hard is it to get a proper job done on de-fretting an existing bass and then getting it lined? I have the ideal bass but I don't want to get it done if its a bit hit or miss or risky.[/quote]

I had my Washburn MB6 defretted by Cranes in Cardiff and they did a great job. Only thing I would say is be specific about how clear you want the lines to be - I didn't and the lines on mine are barely visible which is good and bad :) Maybe have a chat with the Gallery in London? They seem to do a lot of conversions.

Cheers
Alun

PS I may finally have time to start your transcription soon!! Apologies for the delay, things have been a bit loopy.

[quote name='Alun' post='486410' date='May 12 2009, 09:38 PM']I had my Washburn MB6 defretted by Cranes in Cardiff and they did a great job. Only thing I would say is be specific about how clear you want the lines to be - I didn't and the lines on mine are barely visible which is good and bad :) Maybe have a chat with the Gallery in London? They seem to do a lot of conversions.

Cheers
Alun

PS I may finally have time to start your transcription soon!! Apologies for the delay, things have been a bit loopy.[/quote]

Hi Alun,

Thanks for the info. Thanks for the update on the transcriptions. Really looking forward to it and no worries about the delay. Thanks for letting me know.