Why become a member? ×

NBD - ACG - OMG

JoeEvans

This is my recently acquired ACG Border Revier SS4 (bought here from reggieboomboom). I wasn't going to write about it but I couldn't resist the headline...

It's a really superb instrument. I'd never heard of ACG until I saw it advertised, but it reached me at a vulnerable moment. Last year I'd decided to get a small-bodied headless bass with the idea that it would be easy to take places and get out around the house, being so compact. So I picked up an Ibanez Axstar, which was unexpectedly excellent - really good ergonomics, big sound. But I was struggling with the narrow string spacing and skinny neck, and when I saw the ACG I thought 'what the heck...'

The ACG is short scale; the neck is chunky but extremely playable. The back is slightly asymmetric, like many ACG necks, which makes a subtle but definite difference. Zero crown so totally flat frets. The fretboard is acrylic-impregnated American Sycamore, with a really lovely and unusual colour and figuring.

The body shape gives great access all the way up (not that I spend much time up the dusty end). The body ergonomics are superb - it sits on the lap perfectly, hangs perfectly, feels completely comfortable under the right wrist. The finish is super-smooth. It's a chunky wee monkey - it feels very solid, heavy for its size, but being small, it's still actually quite light, if that makes sense...

It has one of ACG's filter-based pre-amps, with a stacked volume / pickup selector then a tone control for each pickup. The tone controls are actually low pass filters, with (as I understand it) a touch of resonance on the frequencies a little lower than the filter level. The sound is superb - fat, punchy, and very versatile with loads of different sounds available.

All in all it's an awesome bass, certainly the best quality bass I've ever owned and probably the best I've ever played.

I'm also now really sold on small basses. Playing this one makes me wonder what all the extra timber is for on normal basses.

Pics are from Reverb from a previous sale.

ACG1.thumb.jpg.73537b59d59c8df9a72ce36adb3c2e00.jpgBorderreiver2.thumb.webp.03665c84258c370fcba37b002919ae8d.webpBorderreiver3.thumb.webp.a3aad9c492f1b62585d02424293473b3.webp

Edited by JoeEvans
  • Like 18

43 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

I was eyeing this one up, so I'm glad I haven't got to make any tough decisions any more! Beautiful bass, I'd love to see a video or two!

I'll see what I can do, I'm meant to be doing some recording for someone soon so might be able to get something.

• Like 1

It looks somewhat like a singlecut version of the Ibanez EHB series, and I mean that in a positive sense - I like the look of this ACG a lot better! This looks brilliant, and very pretty! 

• Like 1