Why become a member? ×

Music video backdrop inspiration

So we've got a great opportunity to get some pro quality video footage, and we need to knock together a video to put on for a large video wall behind the stage for each of the 3 songs.

Does anyone have any good examples of music videos featuring similar kinds of backdrops, need some inspiration!

Our music is noisy alt rock but I guess genre doesn’t particularly matter. We don’t have long to create them so can’t be too ambitious.

Probably something along the lines of this setup:

13a79c6e-1cc4-4f2a-9b2d-e49b975e4ba3.thumb.jpeg.4f2592326d3612878e8da023e9314d68.jpeg

Edited by MrDinsdale

perhaps?

A Youtube search on "music video video wall backdrop" gives various results which may be of use, and a search for "video wall backdrop free" returns a variety of royalty free videos.

Somewhat left-field thought here - the Old Grey Whistle Test used to use very old cartoon animations for visual accompaniment to some songs, presumably where a video wasn't available. Might that work as a backdrop? Example here:

In my head it wound be more like this sort of thing:

(I forgot to add it to the post)

Although I think it’s probably going to end up being some kind of solid colours, possibly with some abstract blended footage for texture due to time constraints. Lots of flickering and distortion as the some goes on.

If we had another week or two I think it’d be way more manageable and could’ve done something more ambitious.

Sadly no green screen option!

Well started playing with some basic shapes and adding waves and distortion with a little chromatic aberration.

For the intro something like this with silhouettes initially then lighting kicking in when we all come in:

then get progressively more chaotic until the breakdown:

It’s really hard to force yourself into remembering it’s just a backdrop and not an actual music video, it’s more just an extension of the lighting. 

Think it’ll look good once it’s done as long as we can keep in time 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Noisy music made me think of this music video.

Not a a backdrop, but the actual video, but using something similar to this as backdrop, maybe?

Yeah!!!! That’s excellent! Think once I get a bit further with the underlying shapes I’ll start taking some inspiration from that. Love all the animated compression artefact effects there. 

• Like 1

Video wall works great when treated as a big lighting fixture. Don't be afraid to keep it simple, to use big solid blocks of colour, and to leave parts of the wall blacked out to create shapes behind you. 

Maybe have a look at live videos of bands playing with video wall behind them and get a vibe for what people are doing - there's a lot of really great show designers out there who integrate it really nicely along with the lighting rig. 

If you can afford it, getting a good lighting engineer and a good Resolume operator involved to "play" it along to your performance (or to preprogramme it for you and timecode it if you're playing to click) would be a great shout. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike257 said:

Video wall works great when treated as a big lighting fixture. Don't be afraid to keep it simple, to use big solid blocks of colour, and to leave parts of the wall blacked out to create shapes behind you. 

Maybe have a look at live videos of bands playing with video wall behind them and get a vibe for what people are doing - there's a lot of really great show designers out there who integrate it really nicely along with the lighting rig. 

If you can afford it, getting a good lighting engineer and a good Resolume operator involved to "play" it along to your performance (or to preprogramme it for you and timecode it if you're playing to click) would be a great shout. 

Yeah I think you’re absolutely right. We have someone programming the lighting, we just need to give them some notes where we want specific stuff. I’ve learned a lot about after effects this week 😂