Why become a member? ×

How To Record Your Bass Without Breaking The Bank

greghagger

Recording yourself is one of the best ways to get an honest review of how you are progressing with your playing. This can just be audio or you can include video if you want a visual to get feedback on your technique or playing posture.

It's also very common to record songs and albums at home nowadays and it's getting much cheaper to do this. I now record remote sessions for artists all over the world without even leaving The Shed!

You don't need to have a pro recording setup like me and it's now very easy to get together your own recording setup without breaking the bank. You just need an audio interface and some recording software and you can get a really good quality recording from your bass.

The technical side of building a decent recording setup at home isn't hard, as long as you understand a few simple steps so I've made a YouTube video to show you how to do this.

I’ve also made up a list of reasonably priced audio interfaces and recording software (DAWs) which you’ll find a link for under the video. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

good shout, it is indeed so cheap now days to get good results from stupidly cheap gear and even free software like reaper with free plugins. also the second hand market is just littered with interfaces, as people are always upgrading, so don't be afraid of using older gear, ( newer gear is NOT always better)  im still using stuff over 20 years old ( some of it is over 40 years old) with very good results, so ignor all the gear snobs, just get something that gets you going.

best bit of advice i can give is...... what ever you use to put your daw on, via laptop or pc, just use it for music production, no internet or anything else and switch everything else off on it you don't need, so you have not got loads of unnecessary processes going on in the background that will suck on your process and ram power.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, funkgod said:

good shout, it is indeed so cheap now days to get good results from stupidly cheap gear and even free software like reaper with free plugins. also the second hand market is just littered with interfaces, as people are always upgrading, so don't be afraid of using older gear, ( newer gear is NOT always better)  im still using stuff over 20 years old ( some of it is over 40 years old) with very good results, so ignor all the gear snobs, just get something that gets you going.

best bit of advice i can give is...... what ever you use to put your daw on, via laptop or pc, just use it for music production, no internet or anything else and switch everything else off on it you don't need, so you have not got loads of unnecessary processes going on in the background that will suck on your process and ram power.

@funkgod Good advice about secondhand gear and keeping your device for music only 👍

It might be worth mentioning that many multi-effects units have a built-in audio interface so you don't need a separate device for recording.

I do all my recording using the Line6 Helix which has options for outputting the processed and direct sound via separate channels. This allows me to monitor (and record if I want) the processed sound while also recording the direct sound which I can then process later using either the Helix Native plug-in or any other effects in my DAW. Then I can tweak the sound to fit better into the track without being stuck with the original sound or needing to re-record if I want a different sound.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 18:40, greghagger said:

Recording yourself is one of the best ways to get an honest review of how you are progressing with your playing.

I recorded myself once. It was pretty dire - elastic timing, uneven volume, poor tone.

Sadly, that was all down to me, and not the software.   So, I guess that I got the honest review that @greghagger predicted!

I will record myself again, therefore, and seek to improve. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 20:54, bass_dinger said:

I recorded myself once. It was pretty dire - elastic timing, uneven volume, poor tone.

Sadly, that was all down to me, and not the software.   So, I guess that I got the honest review that @greghagger predicted!

I will record myself again, therefore, and seek to improve. 

@bass_dinger you’ll improves quickly with more recording. 

• Like 1