Why become a member? ×

GAS

Phil Starr

How true my friend...... 

In my teens in the early 70's l had a Bells musical instrument catalogue that l used to absolutely drool over every night in bed, constantly wishing l could afford a Selmer amp and cab. I did end up buying a Selmer Treble and Bass amp but l had to make my own cab with an 18 inch Goodmans speaker.

I often look fondly back on those early days as a bassist.

Now, over the years l have owned a wide variety of pro standard amps and cabs and lm fortunate enough to be able to buy what l want these days.

But, l can't decide which gave me most pleasure...drooling and eventually saving month after month and the ultimate excitement of owning the item of my desire........or just going out and buying it....does that make sense?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 27/12/2023 at 19:54, neepheid said:

I'm going to do the gear abstinence thing for 2024 - got a good rig, a backup amp, a decent selection of basses and I'm not really into pedals beyond tuner/comp/overdrive so I think I'll cope.

I'm abstaining from the abstinence thread.

Last year (this year?) from genuinely saying "I'm in", and not needing or looking to buy anything, I was out within about ten minutes. To be fare I don't think I've bought a bass since though. 

• Haha 3

On 27/12/2023 at 15:06, Woody1957 said:

How true my friend...... 

In my teens in the early 70's l had a Bells musical instrument catalogue that l used to absolutely drool over every night in bed, constantly wishing l could afford a Selmer amp and cab. I did end up buying a Selmer Treble and Bass amp but l had to make my own cab with an 18 inch Goodmans speaker.

I often look fondly back on those early days as a bassist.

Now, over the years l have owned a wide variety of pro standard amps and cabs and lm fortunate enough to be able to buy what l want these days.

But, l can't decide which gave me most pleasure...drooling and eventually saving month after month and the ultimate excitement of owning the item of my desire........or just going out and buying it....does that make sense?

As the saying goes, the chase is better than the catch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'm abstaining from the abstinence thread.

Last year (this year?) from genuinely saying "I'm in", and not needing or looking to buy anything, I was out within about ten minutes. To be fare I don't think I've bought a bass since though. 

I had a successful (albeit rule testing and adjudication required) 2022.  This year was a case of "eff it, I'm worth it".  Next year, I think I can go without again.

2 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

This abstinence thing, does it cover building basses from parts you already own ?

If you've already got all the parts by the close of play on 31st December, then you won't be buying any new gear, so it's all good.  If you forget something, and have to buy it subsequently then it kinda depends what it is - pickups, tuners and bridges are probably "gear", trivial/consumable stuff like wire, solder or cans of lacquer arguably aren't "gear" (at least not specifically). 

Buying to replace broken/defective/worn/stolen stuff is OK, but it has to be direct replacement as near as possible - if your Behringer BDI21 dies and you go buy a Sansamp - that's a major upgrade and therefore cheating.  If you bought another Behringer BDI21, fair dos.

Unsolicited gifts are ok.

In the end, it's just a bit of fun, we're all on our honour, you're welcome to ask for an adjudication, should you participate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

This abstinence thing, does it cover building basses from parts you already own ?

You just abstain from buying anything bass related, unless it's for running repairs. 

Building new basses from already owned parts is fine. 

That was my plan last year. I've so many neglected projects that I didn't plan on buying anything. But then ano project popped up and I bought it. Due to even more time spent helping increasingly unwell family members I haven't even touched any projects this year. 

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Building new basses from already owned parts is fine. 

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If you've already got all the parts by the close of play on 31st December, then you won't be buying any new gear, so it's all good. 

If that's the case, expect to see one build diary a month throughout 2024 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3