Why become a member? ×

NBD! Hofner 50th anniversary Cavern

Dankology

56 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Try and play a Hofner like a Precision or a Musicman and you're on a hiding to nothing.

Recognise that it's a different beast and needs to be played differently and you may well end up a happy bunny.

Exactly this. I play my Hofner in a completely different way to any of my other basses - always with a pick, palm muted, no distortion.

It's very instinctive though, I don't go out of my way to play it differently, it's just natural. And I'm rewarded with most luscious thud imaginable!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dankology said:

Has anyone got any strap recommendations?...

In my opinion and experience, the strap tied at the nut, as for an acoustic guitar, is the best solution. There are numerous purveyors of such straps; easy to find, inexpensive, and well suited for such a lightweight instrument. Hope this helps.

Douglas

oKFvtAp.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

In my opinion and experience, the strap tied at the nut, as for an acoustic guitar, is the best solution. There are numerous purveyors of such straps; easy to find, inexpensive, and well suited for such a lightweight instrument. Hope this helps.

I strongly suspect you're right but, much like supportive shoes, sensible haircuts, economical cars and not smoking, there are certain drawbacks associated with this solution. 

I am a shallow man, I have no problem admiting this.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dankology said:

Has anyone got any strap recommendations?

I don't fancy adding a button at the heel but the traditional Hofner looks a bit too traditional to me and I'm not keen on that weird D clip arrangement at the bottom end... Are there any nice third party ones out there?

Don't overthink it. Find a length of leather string (a chunky bootlace will do) and thread it between body and heel overhang. Pass the string through the button-hole at one end of any normal guitar strap and Robert is your proverbial.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Don't overthink it. Find a length of leather string (a chunky bootlace will do) and thread it between body and heel overhang. Pass the string through the button-hole at one end of any normal guitar strap and Robert is your proverbial.

I'm not sure that this model has a fingerboard overhang. Might be wrong; s'been a while since I looked. :|