Why become a member? ×

NAD Baby Sumo

Skin Lewis

Got my Baby Sumo in the post today (after paying the carrier £96 in vat and other charges, grrr). I wanted a clean, quiet and punchy back end for my Noble preamp.

I've tried it in the studio through a couple of One10s, and so far it's just the ticket, silent, clear and punchy with no colouration, letting the Noble do its stuff unveiled.  Rehearsal and gig next week, looking forward to trying it out (trusty Elf in reserve in case it all goes tits up).

IMG_0825.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0826.jpeg

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Marty Forrer said:

The Barefaced One10 has built in colouration.

Yes indeed. That's why I like them, especially with the Noble and a P with flats, and the way I play. They're my default cabs for lots of reasons, including size, weight, and footprint. Previously I was going into a LM through the fx return, which only bypasses the gain stage, not the eq. Even set flat, it was even more coloured, but not in a good way to my ears. This cleaner signal path gives me what I want, so job done.

• Like 4

I was looking at noble prices , about $1300 US to order , but there’s about a nine month wait , or you can get fast tracked for about $2000 , seven weeks. Or buy used , I saw one at $2300 and one at $2500. 

crazy prices.

• Like 1

Noble is a one man shop struggling to keep up with the demand. He’s found an audience.

A friend has a Simone by Jule for sale. Good price. I’ve been tempted , but love the pre I’ve been using. After looking at the Noble I was looking at the Broughton P15. There are some beautiful preamps around.
Most amp companies have them now as well.

I think that the gear selection we have today is better than it’s ever been. 

• Like 2

I just received a Gretsch hollow body bass I ordered from a place near Boston. After the exchange duty and shipping it had become considerably more than the asking price.
And then I got dinged with about $130 for a brokerage fee.

I do love the bass , bit it didn’t turn out to be the bargain I thought it was.

On 13/12/2023 at 20:20, Skin Lewis said:

Got my Baby Sumo in the post today (after paying the carrier £96 in vat and other charges, grrr). I wanted a clean, quiet and punchy back end for my Noble preamp.

I've tried it in the studio through a couple of One10s, and so far it's just the ticket, silent, clear and punchy with no colouration, letting the Noble do its stuff unveiled.  Rehearsal and gig next week, looking forward to trying it out (trusty Elf in reserve in case it all goes tits up).

IMG_0825.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0826.jpeg

I’ve been looking at these recently. Just started using a Quad Cortex so I was considering getting rid of my head and using one of these to power a cab instead.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts after gigging it. Or from anyone else who has one.

I got my Baby Sumo after I bought my HX Stomp to do exactly what you're thinking about. It's been a great power amp. I did think for a while that maybe I should have got the slightly more powerful 1000W Sumo because I was used to having a 900W Genz Benz Streamliner behind me, but over time that hasn't been the issue I thought it might be. But if I was to buy another one it'd be the 1000W Sumo just for the extra headroom.

• Like 3

A lovely, dinky rig - pleasing on the eye and the ear, no doubt!  I've been using a Baby Sumo for around a year now and have been really pleased with the transparency and silent running.  I also used a Noble for a while - subtle but lovely on passives (IME) but I don't really play the latter and I've found a Hellborg to be more useful with active basses.  The Sumo is very neat, and well conceived and executed - my favourite of the class Ds to date 

• Like 1