Why become a member? ×

Michael League - Snarky Puppy

fretmeister

I've been watching the North Sea Jazz show:

He seems to be playing quite high on the bass but with very low notes.

I have found some old (like 5 years old) rig videos when he's using octave pedals etc, but this tone doesn't really sound like an octave pedal. So I'm wondering if he's using something else?

P basses are usually crap when tuned BEAD or even lower as the pickup placement is just not great for that purpose.

Any ideas?

Man that's hard listening. I see what you mean, sounds like a sub-octave pedal.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/snarky-puppys-michael-league-im-a-4-string-guy-i-just-play-better-when-i-have-less-to-work-with

"For groove stuff with sub octave, I alternate between a 3Leaf Audio Octabvre and the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, which is super deep and warm. It shakes windows, for sure.”

I reckon that's what he's using. May be he A/Bs the signal as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Could be.

It sounds really stable for an analogue pedal though. I've had the MXR and I could never get it that stable, even with a compressor in front of it!

He may have some funky digital effects behind the scenes, but these guys seem to me to be all about the analogue!

Possibly unrelated to this particular sound but this is an excellent League interview where he discusses playing directly over the octave harmonic node of a note so you cancel out the harmonic, which then emphasises the fundamental and you get a natural "sub" tone.

4 minutes in, or thereabouts.