Why become a member? ×

DHA VT1 EQ DI

Pow_22

I thought i would start a new thread after my previous one requesting suggestions for a tube based DI.  Ive previously owned a few Ampeg SVT Tube DI's but they were sold after sitting unused.  Typically i now have the need for a decent DI and the ampegs are impossible to come buy and have also shot up in value!.  One such suggestion on my old thread was a DHA valve DI which themselves are hard to get hold of.  However, i chance google search revealed a used one, in stock, at Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester for what appeared to be a bargain price and it was immediately ordered.

Now i'm a simple man and very much like 'plug-in-and-play' stuff. My set up is a simple P bass, flatwounds into an old ABM.  I like a slightly driven/valvey tone with lots of bottom.  The DHA will be used mainly in the studio where rehearsals tend to be amp-less for me and i go straight into the desk/PA.  The DHA will hopefully give me a little more control and also that grainy throaty valve tone.  The only issue i foresee is the amount of knobs - as i say, i like to plug in and play and certainly dont like knob twiddling (!) so this box will take some getting used to.  Buttons like IP and HP, Q and colour are already bending my simple mind but i will do some online research and try and track down some form of operating manual.  The PSU should arrive tomorrow so ill get chance to fire it up properly.

Id be interested to hear from any other regular users for hints and tips.  In the meantime, here is the object in question...

IMG_5453.jpeg

IMG_5454.jpeg

IMG_5473.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22

Nice. DHA tube overdrive sounds great. The controls are simpler than it looks:

IP = Input (like changing the volume on your Bass, it is before the tube gain, and level is after)

HP = Headphone volume

Q = The mids are semi parametelric - this control adjusts their centre frequency (which is potentially a bit confusing as Q usually refers to the width of the EQ band rather than the centre frequency) 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Old thread resurrection - does anybody use a carry case for theirs?  Something like a small peli case or maybe a radio mic case?

Often thought about it and should get one. I take a spare 12AX7 valve in a hard, padded container just in case.

Funny this should pop up as I used mine at a rehearsal last night in prep for a supplied backline gig soon - I should use it more, all the other OD/DI type pre-amp/amp in a box things don't come close as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

Often thought about it and should get one. I take a spare 12AX7 valve in a hard, padded container just in case.

Funny this should pop up as I used mine at a rehearsal last night in prep for a supplied backline gig soon - I should use it more, all the other OD/DI type pre-amp/amp in a box things don't come close as far as I'm concerned!

Research so far suggests a Sennheiser radio mic case might fit but still searching round for others

• Like 1