Why become a member? ×

Giles Martin’s Beatles remixes

Jonge McLengo

For anyone not keeping up with the stream of Beatles stuff that’s been coming recently, new versions of the Red and Blue albums have come out featuring a load of AI-assisted proper stereo remixes of some of the early stuff as well as a few of the later period songs that hadn’t been covered yet, mostly Magical Mystery Tour stuff.

I reckon most of the remixes are a revelation, especially of the early stuff - it’s bizarre to hear that music with separation between the instruments, and really exposes how good the drumming is!

The remix of I Am the Walrus though… very questionable. It’s like he’s tried to recreate the weird stereo mix and the second half sounds like it’s in a box, and the radio is way too loud.

If you’re curious: Red and Blue. Thoughts?

I will be taking a listen to that, but I have listened to his mix of Revolver and Eleanor Rigby was the highlight for me - I felt like I was standing in the middle of the orchestra with instruments both sides of me.  The hard panned stereo mixes of old are so draining to listen to - they make me want to actually angle my head towards whatever side is working hardest.

It's not perfect, there were some detectably wonky moments, I seem to remember some guitars going a bit wrong in And Your Bird Can Sing.

Speaking of too loud bits - the yawn in the middle of I'm Only Sleeping is comically loud - reckon this was done on purpose as it makes me laugh every time I hear it!

Edited by neepheid

35 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I will be taking a listen to that, but I have listened to his mix of Revolver and Eleanor Rigby was the highlight for me - I felt like I was standing in the middle of the orchestra with instruments both sides of me.  The hard panned stereo mixes of old are so draining to listen to - they make me want to actually angle my head towards whatever side is working hardest.

It's not perfect, there were some detectably wonky moments, I seem to remember some guitars going a bit wrong in And Your Bird Can Sing.

Speaking of too loud bits - the yawn in the middle of I'm Only Sleeping is comically loud - reckon this was done on purpose as it makes me laugh every time I hear it!

The Revolver remix was pretty well done, Tomorrow Never Knows in true stereo is great. I know what you mean regarding wonkiness though. The guitars in She Said She Said miss the mark for me, though it could be a mixing choice - they sound very clean and separated, which takes away some of the impact imo.

In general I feel like Giles does a good job; Hard Days Night & You Can’t Do That from Red and Hey Bulldog & Revolution from Blue in particular are really good, which makes his decisions re Walrus especially strange.

49 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

It might just be the headphones I'm listening on but McCartney's bass just gets buried under the other instruments. Generally good but this aspect is disappointing.

I was just going to post to comment the opposite of this. Only listened to Red album so far. Maybe it's the headphones I'm listening on!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaulHornBass said:

I was just going to post to comment the opposite of this. Only listened to Red album so far. Maybe it's the headphones I'm listening on!

I'm not using great headphones to be honest and it just sounds like someone's twanging an elastic band. Will give it a proper listen on some decent ones when I get home.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I'm not using great headphones to be honest and it just sounds like someone's twanging an elastic band. Will give it a proper listen on some decent ones when I get home.

Isn't that what a Hofner bass sounds like normally? ;)

(runs out the door followed by a barrage of Hofner basses being flung at him...)

• Haha 3

Love the 2023 mix of Revolution. It seems to have more energy. The fuzzy guitars have more definition, and make you realise how good the guitar parts are.

I Am the Walrus 2023 I mostly like, but as was said earlier, not so keen on the radio in the fade. Even on the original I disliked when the radio takes over, it's even more obvious now 😐

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2023 at 09:10, Jonge McLengo said:

For anyone not keeping up with the stream of Beatles stuff that’s been coming recently, new versions of the Red and Blue albums have come out featuring a load of AI-assisted proper stereo remixes of some of the early stuff as well as a few of the later period songs that hadn’t been covered yet, mostly Magical Mystery Tour stuff.

I reckon most of the remixes are a revelation, especially of the early stuff - it’s bizarre to hear that music with separation between the instruments, and really exposes how good the drumming is!

The remix of I Am the Walrus though… very questionable. It’s like he’s tried to recreate the weird stereo mix and the second half sounds like it’s in a box, and the radio is way too loud.

If you’re curious: Red and Blue. Thoughts?

Honestly I think the mixes sound better than before but I was hoping for a less conservative remix of the songs.

For example the bass in the early stuff that has been remixed is still pretty quiet even for the era, i think the bass should have been made a little less boomy and it could then have been made louder, there may well have been technical reasons this could not have been done but I suspect they didn't want to stray too far from the original mix for fear of upsetting people.