Why become a member? ×

The Black Washburn Status - who has had it / what's the history ??

=^..^=

So - last week I got the the black Washburn Status that Bass Direct were selling - plays nicely, looks ok, sounds terrible.

The actives have been replaced at some stage with a preamp that clips at max volume so they are up for replacing, paint job is ok tbh but satin black shows every mark  / imperfection / finger mark so it might be in line for a refinish 

I guess there is a lot of history on this - so who has had it and what did you do to it ??

Washburn_1.thumb.jpg.18ebfef03b351b7b9511410fb9ccca32.jpg

Thanks

Edited by =^..^=
grammatical error

I had 2 of these until recently and thought they sounded and played great but mine had all the original electronics and finishes. They didn't really work for the heavy music I'm doing so sadly moved them on to people on here. Fresh Battery and new strings does wonders for them, I oddly liked using lower gauge strings on these which I never use on my other basses.

This bass was painted:

1) there wasn't a matt black option, but trans red, natural, and there was a third, like trans black, maybe

2) the missing truss rod cover screw holes are painted over

Original pickups had similar Status text in them like in the bridge. These do not look like originals.

The electronics had a simple treble boost (I think it was a Status circuitry), vol and blend. Centre detent on blend and steps/clicks on vol (and treble, too, I think).

The fretboard is phenolic resin. See the waves.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, =^..^= said:

so who has had it and what did you do to it ??

I had one for a while. Not bad, sounded fine, I gigged with it a few times - then I got a real Status (S2000). The Washburn was moved on simply because it wasn't played.

Now I've moved onto 6s, even the Status gets touched rarely. Too much sentimental value to sell it though.

• Like 1

When I got the bass (last week) the actives had been removed and a simple op amp circuit put in it's place . It was a volume pot per pickup and a simple capacitor wired as a tone control.

If you turned the pickup volume to max and dug in the op amp clipped regardless of the trim pot setting on the board.

A very nice chap on the Facebook Statii page is sending me the actives from an S3000

image.thumb.png.86347940445d6d2844c4b5d373e9c640.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I had a long drive yesterday and ended up listening to recordings of my short-lived 80s band made on my old Washburn Status. I remember the EQ was not what it a used to and seemed a bit too simple, but fired up through a Trace Elliot it sounded fantastic: clear, deep, punchy.