Why become a member? ×

Something not quite right...and yet

TheGreek

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What's not quite right about it?

I’m guessing because it’s a ‘live’ version? Co-writer Jim Lea played bass on the original, 

and much better than Dave Hill does in this version IMO. I liked a lot of Jim’s bass stuff,

really made many of Slade’s hits for me. 

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

I’m guessing because it’s a ‘live’ version? Co-writer Jim Lea played bass on the original, 

and much better than Dave Hill does in this version IMO. I liked a lot of Jim’s bass stuff,

really made many of Slade’s hits for me. 

But Jim (also?) played the violin, which IIRC is his "first" instrument and since he can't play both at the same time live someone would have to do the bass.

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But Jim (also?) played the violin, which IIRC is his "first" instrument and since he can't play both at the same time live someone would have to do the bass.

Absolutely, and that’s why I mentioned it doesn’t maybe sound ‘right’. 

• Like 1

As this is a song I used to do in my Dad Rock covers band days, and consequently one I know inside out, I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with this live version other than the rather sludgy sounds and the fact that it's missing the plethora of overdubs that are on the recorded version - pretty much like any other hit from that era.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

As this is a song I used to do in my Dad Rock covers band days, and consequently one I know inside out, I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with this live version other than the rather sludgy sounds and the fact that it's missing the plethora of overdubs that are on the recorded version - pretty much like any other hit from that era.

For me it’s missing Jim’s rather more interesting original walking bassline - Dave Hill sticking pretty much with

just the root notes ( probably to allow him to stomp about like he does). 

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

For me it’s missing Jim’s rather more interesting original walking bassline - Dave Hill sticking pretty much with

just the root notes ( probably to allow him to stomp about like he does). 

Totally this! The fave one I ever played was How Does It Feel…

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, casapete said:

That’s a great bass fest Mick, forgotten that one! 

But we screwed it up by letting the vocalists imitate the brass section at the end with kazoos!

Needless to say, it didn’t make our live album… despite my excellent bassline.😂

• Haha 1