Why become a member? ×

Neck plate sustain or killer?

LITTLEWING

Now here’s a new subject that I’ve actually had experience of. I’ve just seen an advert for a neck plate that gives all sorts of improvements like sustain and general liveliness.

Now for my 10 pence worth - my Frankenstein P bass had a dull A (fifth fret) on the E string. Tried a few weight things on the headstock to no avail except losing a little tone on other strings. Next thing I removed the neck plate and refitted The screws with cup washers. The dead note improved considerably and there is a definite overall livelier voice going on.

When you think about it, a lot of top end basses don’t have plates, they have recessed screws and ferrules and you always hear positive reviews about those.

I’m assuming it was a cheap quick production process by Leo back in the day to chuck an easily removable big plate and screws for future maintenance etc. 

• Like 1

No, there's some sort of plate.

On 29/10/2023 at 13:43, LITTLEWING said:

I’ve just seen an advert for a neck plate that gives all sorts of improvements like sustain and general liveliness.

First I saw of ferrules was on Ibanez around 87, they made a sculpted heel for the new SR range and a plate simply would not work with that design. I'd imagine Tune or SGC Nanyo possibly beat them to the idea but SRs are where I saw it first. This is the first I've heard of a plate with magic tonal properties but, in the age of unlimited aftermarket parts which make everything "better" I'm not surprised it's now available, probably made of tonegainium.

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2023 at 02:13, tauzero said:

I'm not sure if I pasted in the wrong thing or was posting drunk (again).

This seems a more likely candidate: https://reverb.com/item/17354303-van-dyke-harms-extra-thick-stainless-steel-neck-plate-with-screws-fits-fender-style-4-bolt-guitars

Well, there's a solution looking for a problem