Why become a member? ×

String vibration after fitting a set of flatwounds.

LaupMcr

Hi 

I have significant string vibration on my A string and to a lesser degree on my E string.

I have tried bridge and truss rod adjustments-no change.

Could it be the nut, I have noticed that the E and A do not sit as flush in the nut as the D and G (see pic).

If this is an issue, what can I do about it?

Many thanks,

Paul

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-26 at 16.28.44.jpeg

Are the new strings a different gauge to the ones fitted previously ? If they are fatter then you may have to file the nut slots to accommodate the strings so they sit properly in the slots. Maybe a take it to someone who knows what they are doing job. If you bought the strings in your local shop their technician may sort it for less money as you've just spent money there.

Nut can usually accommodate a little change, as brands may also differ in thickness...

So if you have gone from a std 45-65-85-105 Rounds to say a 45-65-80-100 Flats...

Check for a twisted string, do you wind a wind round the peg by hand, this can introduce a twist... slacken off a string, pull down to the bridge and see if you can un-turn half a turn at the ball end...

Witness points, tune- up and a light press - lighter with flats - at the bridge and nut contact points.

Saddles, got any silk over the saddle?

If the above don't fix it, trip back with a razor blade, although this may expose a rough join...

I'd say the nut is probably fine. The E and A strings may sit a bit higher than the D and G. They're thicker strings, so only the base of the slot needs to match the others. 

How far down the tuning pegs are the winds? If they're too high, they can cause some unwanted vibrations due to the break angle. 

• Like 3

Yes, as MD posted, there is virtually no break angle on the A - aim for three full winds or as much as possible down the post.

Depth of nut slots is decided by the first fret action, not by looks. Lowering the nut slots will give even less break angle.

• Like 2