Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting a 1x12 cab but which one?

Linus27

I know I say this every time someone asks for advice on gear, but do go and try stuff, rather than buying on the basis of recommendation. Most people selling used gear won't mind if you ask to come and try it out (if they do, that's a red flag). Ditto retailers.

Having said that, the fact that you like your BFTwo10 makes their One10 an obvious choice and both will combine happily to give you a potent rig when the occasion demands it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Ones on my list so far that seem light and are all priced at about £350 are,

Orange OBC112

Ashdown RM 112 Evo

Ampeg PF112

8 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I have a Two10

None of the cabs on your list is significantly smaller or lighter than your existing Two10 - in fact the Ampeg is heavier.  And although the Two10 is taller, it has a smaller footprint.

You said "very small, intimate gigs with my acoustic group" - what's the band line-up and type of venue?  In venues with good stage acoustics (theatres/concert halls) and listening (i.e. quiet) audiences, I've been using a Micromark 801, which is a 27cm cube and 6.6kg.  This is with a 10-piece acoustic swing band.  It's a very minimal setup which makes for a very easy load-in and setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

None of the cabs on your list is significantly smaller or lighter than your existing Two10 - in fact the Ampeg is heavier.  And although the Two10 is taller, it has a smaller footprint.

You said "very small, intimate gigs with my acoustic group" - what's the band line-up and type of venue?  In venues with good stage acoustics (theatres/concert halls) and listening (i.e. quiet) audiences, I've been using a Micromark 801, which is a 27cm cube and 6.6kg.  This is with a 10-piece acoustic swing band.  It's a very minimal setup which makes for a very easy load-in and setup.

It's more the case of an easy carry in as well as footprint. 

As for the line up its acoustic guitar/singer, fretless bass (me) and drummer using brushes on a tiny kit (small bass drum, snare, hi-hat) or egg shakers. As for venue, it can be showcase/open mic type nights in music pubs where you play for 20-30 mins with 2 or 3 other artists, usually acoustic. Usually very intimate and we strip it back somewhat. So a 10 minute change over and quick line check. For the bigger type gigs I use my Two10 and Little Mark IV so this is just purely for an easy load in and change over for these types of gigs/nights.

I really like the idea of the Micromark 801 and the 802 if I could ever find one.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tauzero said:

Build one?

The same thought occurred to me. I’ve ended up with the original and it’s my default cab of choice. It sounds good in a really unspectacular way. You just dial in the tone you want and it just gets on with it. It’s loud enough for any stage monitoring or rehearsal room and I’ve used it at gigs with 50 punters. I built the first cab in well under an hour at a bass bash and the whole thing is wired up with some chocolate box connector and some crimp terminals so no soldering required. It’s a really easy carry too

• Like 2