Why become a member? ×

Boss GT 1000 / Core Users - Patches and Ideas

Al Krow

7 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

That’s a shame, the other solution would eve to use a WIDI Jack to connect the Core to your laptop/tablet. Not sure if that works for IR Loader etc or just Tone studio. 

I'd say if there was crackling when the knobs were touched, there's a more fundamental problem.

• Like 1

Just found this, it’s guitar focused but a lot of the EQ principles are roughly the same just different frequency ranges.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-gt-1000-tips-trick-presets-and-settings.1938532/page-6#post-35802296

I need to spend more time with the x-od and other guitar focused distortions, I find the bass ones too bass heavy a lot of the time. 

On 18/11/2023 at 23:01, MrDinsdale said:

@Mook FYI I added a slightly updated version of the Multiband template patch, this has some actual effects added in there. The main thing was tweaking the frequencies to get the crossover a little more balanced. It's really hard to set the LPF and HPF so that you maintain a flattish signal.

https://bosstoneexchange.com/liveset/1ebf69ef-c445-4490-a0bb-1cca3e4592a3/

Brilliant I'll have to have a look at this. Sounds really good on the YouTube video. The first dirt switch is just the sound I'm looking for so looking forward to trying it out. I haven't really made the most of the lpf and hpf. On my divisions I had an eq on the bottom division focusing on the important bass frequency and the top division with an eq with high and mids with all the effects there. My theory was that this would leave the bass clean and only the highs and mids effected by the pedals. Not sure if this is the best way to do this..sounds good to the ear but would the low and high pass filters be a better way to achieve it?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Think I've "lost" my GT 1000 Core...😅

Lent it to a new guitarist who's joining a second line-up of my covers band so he had a decent multi. He's taken to it like a duck to water! Some great tones and he and another guitarist we work with, who has the GT 1000, don't seem to have to fight an inherent harshness of the Helix Stomp / Pod-Go which a couple of other guitarists we work with have had to figure a way around - one gave up and traded in his Pod-Go for a Kemper which he's always wanted, tbf the other one's getting there with his Helix XL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/10/2023 at 14:14, MrDinsdale said:

Oooo another quirk is that the Speaker sim blocks only work when an AIRD preamp block is in the signal path. This is annoying if like me you have a preferred preamp pedal.

Even the cleanest natural preamp in the Core colours the tone quite a bit so the other option is to use an A/B divider. If you pop a preamp block in B and set the split to be 100% the A path the cabsim will work without any colouring.

It means sacrificing a divider though.

Have you thought about simply moving the amp block to the end of the chain so no it's not in the signal flow. In theory I think this should work.

Been messing with my Core now since Christmas and I really need to remember to get some decent single malt in for Santa to say thanks. 

It defo took a while to really get my head around it's interface, approach and the very 80's rack style of parameter editing (which I'm slowly growing to love) but it's such a powerful device I'm basically able to replicate a studio like signal flow with multi-band processing and effects processing that gives me a level of control that really sits well with my OCD like approach to sound sculpture.

The tweaker in me has a few niggles that I'd love to change in it (like I'd loose the four basic delay blocks for either an extra fx or divider in a nano second, high pass on the master delay and the ability to use the phones out as a stereo single jack and a mono sub out from the left output) but for the money there's some really special and exceptional functionality in here.

Also I spent a lil while with a freq analyser and the div crossovers, EQ blocks and Global EQ as I was interested in seeing what order the High and Low Pass filtering it has, interestingly they're all different (again I'd kill for some control of the slopes there)

I can't work out why the output selection is not raved about more it's such a good idea and seems to work so well. Also by splitting L&R output blocks and messing with the signal flow I plan to use the right out to go to my amp set to the bass amp with tweeter setting and the left output to DI full range and have independent global EQ for each side. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, matybigfro said:

Have you thought about simply moving the amp block to the end of the chain so no it's not in the signal flow. In theory I think this should work.

Na tried this and still doesn’t work, as soon as the amp block is out of the active signal chain cabsim stops working. Having a duel divider is the only way I’ve found because even though the path with the preamp block is set to 0 volume it’s still active. Even having in an A/B divider doesn’t work unless the right channel is active. 

10 hours ago, matybigfro said:

Been messing with my Core now since Christmas and I really need to remember to get some decent single malt in for Santa to say thanks. 

It defo took a while to really get my head around it's interface, approach and the very 80's rack style of parameter editing (which I'm slowly growing to love) but it's such a powerful device I'm basically able to replicate a studio like signal flow with multi-band processing and effects processing that gives me a level of control that really sits well with my OCD like approach to sound sculpture.

The tweaker in me has a few niggles that I'd love to change in it (like I'd loose the four basic delay blocks for either an extra fx or divider in a nano second, high pass on the master delay and the ability to use the phones out as a stereo single jack and a mono sub out from the left output) but for the money there's some really special and exceptional functionality in here.

Also I spent a lil while with a freq analyser and the div crossovers, EQ blocks and Global EQ as I was interested in seeing what order the High and Low Pass filtering it has, interestingly they're all different (again I'd kill for some control of the slopes there)

I can't work out why the output selection is not raved about more it's such a good idea and seems to work so well. Also by splitting L&R output blocks and messing with the signal flow I plan to use the right out to go to my amp set to the bass amp with tweeter setting and the left output to DI full range and have independent global EQ for each side. 

One thing I always struggled with was getting a good x-over with the LPF/HPFs. It always sounds like it’s boosting or cutting, really need to do the same and try to find a sweet spot.

Super powerful unit. I agree on the delays, I have so little use for them. Master delay is more than enough for my needs.

If they could fix the preamp/ir block issue and allow input presets to be set to one of the 5 knobs so I could quickly select the right input level I’d be sorted! Oh and custom labels on the footswitches!

Crossover dividers on most modeller pedals seem to make interesting design choices like why not give a full frequencies range although at least the boss one goes down to 100hz I think the line 6 one only went down at 250. Again a control of the slopes on the crossover and HP/LPF on the end would be great.

This is where the 4 EQ blocks on the boss do really come into their own. I  found the crossover on the divider has a steeper slope than the equivalent LPF and so ended up using them other, I have some pretty drastic eq going on lows, boosting 40hz by 20db with mid q, High passing at 80hz and cutting 20db on high q at 120 and low passing at 100hz then running into the compressor. I find that gives a good solid low end that I then combine with other side high passed at 100hz going into the drive sections, out to one of the effects loopers and then into the preamp, another EQ blocks and then hitting the IR section before it hits the mix block. I have another divide that splits off before all of that high passed at 2khz and a bit of EQ boosting 10khz for a just a little clean signal blend they then mixes back before I then have any full range effects.

so far I'm pretty pleased with how it's all sounding. The amp modelling might not be the best out there but it far supersedes the Behringer BDI I was using before, I haven't given it a listen through a big PA yet but I'm confident it'll be a solid pleasing sound for live.

Edited by matybigfro
  • Like 2

I think the main thing that grated on me with the Boss approach was the uniform parameters given across amps/distortion blocks that make it feel a little limited compared to other systems like you have a SVT with no deep control, no selectable mid's etc and there's no indication what sort of tone stack they are modelling, but the EQ blocks do allow most of that to be overcome.

To my ears the Concert model does what I want mainly which is give some tube like feel and high end roll off to make fuzz and drive sing and little colour/flavour to the sound that more flat DI's or Modern Hi-Fi Bass Amps lack. I even tried 3rd party IR's recommended in a number of places but felt it was better with the original speaker sim, I don't know if that's cos of the output select matching it better with my cab or cos I tweaked the mic options and placement to my taste.

Edited by matybigfro
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, matybigfro said:

I think the main thing that grated on me with the Boss approach was the uniform parameters given across amps/distortion blocks that make it feel a little limited compared to other systems like you have a SVT with no deep control, no selectable mid's etc and there's no indication what sort of tone stack they are modelling, but the EQ blocks do allow most of that to be overcome.

To my ears the Concert model does what I want mainly which is give some tube like feel and high end roll off to make fuzz and drive sing and little colour/flavour to the sound that more flat DI's or Modern Hi-Fi Bass Amps lack. I even tried 3rd party IR's recommended in a number of places but felt it was better with the original speaker sim, I don't know if that's cos of the output select matching it better with my cab or cos I tweaked the mic options and placement to my taste.

On IRs I’ve tried a few and what I found was that for home practice and recording the Shiftline free pack has some excellent sounding cabs. For live though they always seemed way too bass heavy.

Now I’m more than happy enough with the Capo preamps HPF, even for higher gain stuff.

TBF I gave the concert preamp a go last night and it’s actually much better than I remembered. Still can’t imagine swapping out my Capo anytime soon but will have to build a patch around it. 

I think my next thing with the GT is to sit down and try to emulate some cool effects.

There are some really cool boutique pedals out there like the Non Human Audio Slow Loris that I love the sound of but could never justify purchasing. Thinking it’d be fun to see if I could get an inspired sound out of the GT.

As it stands I’m really not making the most of it for bass, I only use it to set input levels, noise gate and tuner currently. Just need to spend some quality time.

Just watched the Justin Chancellor gear walk through and tempted to recreate some of his more out there tones. His board is 50% boss anyways!

I kind of regret selling my GT Core.

All I need for gigs are: Tuner, Compressor, EQ, Drive, a way of switching between two basses, and to split the signal -  XLR to Mixer (for IEMs) and line to my Amp/Cab (I can do the XLR to mixer from my Amp  though so don't really need a pedal doing it).

I've gone for Boss Compact pedals for foolproof/bomb-proof (LS-2, TU-3, LMB-3, BB-1X, and a SubZero DI Box) and that covers those needs. But actually, they probably cost about the same that I sold the GT Core for, they're bulkier, in some ways the 'what you see is what you get' of individual pedals is more foolproof - but in other ways there are risks like patch cables and power cables coming loose, and obviously individual pedals don't have the option to do all the other stuff I don't really need but is nice to have (HPF would be good live, cab sim to mixer would be nice, all the other more exotic effects for mucking about at home).

So, if anyone isn't into their GT Core, perhaps give me a shout!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SumOne said:

I kind of regret selling my GT Core.

All I need for gigs are: Tuner, Compressor, EQ, Drive, a way of switching between two basses, and to split the signal -  XLR to Mixer (for IEMs) and line to my Amp/Cab (I can do the XLR to mixer from my Amp  though so don't really need a pedal doing it).

I've gone for Boss Compact pedals for foolproof/bomb-proof (LS-2, TU-3, LMB-3, BB-1X, and a SubZero DI Box) and that covers those needs. But actually, they probably cost about the same that I sold the GT Core for, they're bulkier, in some ways the 'what you see is what you get' of individual pedals is more foolproof - but in other ways there are risks like patch cables and power cables coming loose, and obviously individual pedals don't have the option to do all the other stuff I don't really need but is nice to have (HPF would be good live, cab sim to mixer would be nice, all the other more exotic effects for mucking about at home).

So, if anyone isn't into their GT Core, perhaps give me a shout!

I’ll be sure to give you a shout.

I totally get what you mean, I find myself forever flip flopping back and forwards between pedals vs multifx. 2nd time GT owner here. 

The way I see it is that even though I’m using a fraction of its capabilities, I still have the other 90% to play with should I ever want to experiment. It helps to reduce the urge to by more stuff too, buying a boutique flanger when I can probably get something in the ballpark with the GT makes it a really hard sell. Mostly…

• Like 1

Wouldn’t say I’m close to a Slo Loris but I’m definitely starting to get something interesting. 

Playing around with the internal pedal stuff in assigns. Stuff like having oscillating values on the slow gear fx gets some almost tape warp vibes, especially combining with some of the chorus fx. I’ve seen people using the Int pedal on the slicer too to oscillate back and forward through the patterns to create a glitch effect. Very cool!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I really fancy Morningstar’s midi loop switcher. Being able to switch physical pedals on and off would be a game changer.

That loop switcher looks like a great addition to the pedal board.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone played with making synth sounds with the GT1k? Saw the Ian Martin Allison HX presets on a video and figured it’d be fun to play with similar approaches.

Not something I really have a reason to need aside from being a good learning experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back in the Core club, hopefully third time lucky!

I've kept selling them when I've gone into a band where I don't need fx, thinking individual pedals will be simpler and cheaper, then bought again when I'm in bands that need more fx. It's a costly business model, perhaps this time I'll learn my lesson and just keep it regardless. 

I played it with a band that doesn't need many fx last night (just compressor, drive, eq, hpf) and without telling people I'd changed anything the Drummer was very complimentary of the sound "what have you changed? It's the best I've heard you sound". So, an endorsement of the Core for bread and butter sounds, and in a smaller package than even having just those few individual pedals. 

A couple of criticisms though:

• I clicked the tuner off once (2x footswitch press) and must have then accidentally pressed one footswitch - changing the Preset to something I didn't want without my realising until the wrong sound was coming out.
  • Not being able to delete fx from the chain: it's not a big deal to just put all the un-used ones at the end of the chain and turned off, but there's potential for confusion and accidentally turning the wrong thing on, if they could just be deleted it'd make things simpler and more foolproof. 
  • Boss should have copied the Helix footswitch ideas: dull/bright lights and soft-touch.
  • ...and I don't know why no-one other than Source Audio (and perhaps FI, and to a lesser extent Zoom) can really nail digital envelope filters and synth sounds.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SumOne said:

I'm back in the Core club, hopefully third time lucky!

I've kept selling them when I've gone into a band where I don't need fx, thinking individual pedals will be simpler and cheaper, then bought again when I'm in bands that need more fx. It's a costly business model, perhaps this time I'll learn my lesson and just keep it regardless. 

I played it with a band that doesn't need many fx last night (just compressor, drive, eq, hpf) and without telling people I'd changed anything the Drummer was very complimentary of the sound "what have you changed? It's the best I've heard you sound". So, an endorsement of the Core for bread and butter sounds, and in a smaller package than even having just those few individual pedals. 

A couple of criticisms though:

• I clicked the tuner off once (2x footswitch press) and must have then accidentally pressed one footswitch - changing the Preset to something I didn't want without my realising until the wrong sound was coming out.
  • Not being able to delete fx from the chain: it's not a big deal to just put all the un-used ones at the end of the chain and turned off, but there's potential for confusion and accidentally turning the wrong thing on, if they could just be deleted it'd make things simpler and more foolproof. 
  • Boss should have copied the Helix footswitch ideas: dull/bright lights and soft-touch.
  • ...and I don't know why no-one other than Source Audio (and perhaps FI, and to a lesser extent Zoom) can really nail digital envelope filters and synth sounds.

Yeah I often set a foot switch to be a dedicated tuner switch when I don’t need all 3 to toggle fx, I hate the double press. 

• Like 1