Why become a member? ×

Hello - Introduction

TellermineBass

Hi all.

I signed up because I spied something on the marketplace but I think I'll stay for chats! I'm from Sussex, been playing since 2007 ish. I don't stray too far from rock genre. I mostly live in prog land so big into players like Geddy Lee, Chris Squire etc.

Currently I play a Fender P Bass Special from 2002 as my main bass, in an unusual matte black finish. It's got a set of SD Quarter Pounder PJ pickups and I put a tort guard on. I'm also taking care of a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo at the moment which is lovely. 

Look forward to contributing to the forum.

TellermineBass

• Like 2

Welcome !
I do love a nice Ric! And those later 4001 basses are lovely things. Is the . 0047 cap still engaged?
Much of that prog clank is in that capacitor. 
I wanted mine to be more thumpy so I bypassed it. But if are looking for that classic prog sound …

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msb said:

Welcome !
I do love a nice Ric! And those later 4001 basses are lovely things. Is the . 0047 cap still engaged?
Much of that prog clank is in that capacitor. 
I wanted mine to be more thumpy so I bypassed it. But if are looking for that classic prog sound …

Pretty sure the cap is still there. Seems to be all original though am no Rick expert.

The bridge pickup is all top end so sounds like it's being HPF'd by the cap. Makes for some nice extra sizzle when blended with the neck. Not checked inside the bass though! 

It's a later 4001 with the hi-gains. But would like to try a 4003 with the vint/modern cap bypass switch one day to see what they're like in comparison.

I love those later 4001 basses with the one inch spacing!
… the earlier features too. They fetch silly money these days.

The necks on those last 4001 basses are comfortable , when they introduced the improved 4003 the necks became significantly thicker. I’m mostly using short scale basses now , and have two older Rics. Still get a little weak in the knees when I look at them , and when I pick one up they feel like home.

• Like 1