Why become a member? ×

Euphonic Audio (USA) EA iAmp 350 BASS head - sudden loss of sound / power

eubassix

no previous issues with this. Not used for a while but yesterday evening played (home) at low volume for about 20 minutes ....  and then nothing. Not powering up. I’ve changed the kettle lead with no change. The fan wasn't on but can't recall if this is permanent or kicks-in when required (?) - but no apparent heat (or 'smell'). I checked the 2 internal (glass) fuses and both OK (... was hoping this might be the simple fix)............

Any thoughts / ideas ?......

Edited by eubassix
details

40 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Could it be the main input fuse on the back of the amp?

Housed just underneath the mains socket.

Thnks BB :-

1. 'Discovered' a “hidden” fuse in the power input which has clearly blown. Replaced it ...............
2.This does seem to be the problem. I’ve replaced the 250v fuse in the power input and this has blown again.

3 hours ago, eubassix said:

Thnks BB :-

1. 'Discovered' a “hidden” fuse in the power input which has clearly blown. Replaced it ...............
2.This does seem to be the problem. I’ve replaced the 250v fuse in the power input and this has blown again.

did you replace the blown fuse with a 250V 3A Slo Blo fuse?

16 hours ago, sandy_r said:

did you replace the blown fuse with a 250V 3A Slo Blo fuse?

9 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Should be a 4A Slo Blo apparently...

Not necessarily, it seems!   ...but @eubassix can confirm that they've used the same rating&type of fuse shown on their amp rearplate

iAmp350-Fuse.png.663fe230ef9054fd55bbf4fcc1538d3d.png

Edited by sandy_r

@sandy_r How strange. Same amp, different stickers. Wonder what the story is behind that? I don't think EA exist anymore so not possible to find out.

@eubassix If it keeps blowing, I would suspect a power supply problem. A blown component or mains transformer problem. I don't know if the schematics are available but I would involve a decent amp tech.

20 minutes ago, eubassix said:

... thanks for the suggestions/help: ordered some new / corrct fuses. Hopefully this will sort the issue; but - worst case scenario - what might be the issue IF the fuse(s) continue to blow ?

Unfortunately this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question

Blowing a 3 or 4 amp Slo Blo fuse (originally?) is a reasonably robust short-circuit (ie the fuse blew before, say, a sliver of solder evaporated)

If you feel confident doing so, you could open the case and try and inspect the components and underside of circuit board and report back any signs of carbon, heat effects, bulging electrolytic caps, etc.  This should give some idea of the failure mode and possibly influence decisions for professional repair/retirement of amp

Otherwise just take it to a reputable repair tech and get an estimate

Edited by sandy_r

...for completeness...

if the amp powers on (and stays on as needed!), after you've replaced the main fuse with the plate-rated item, then it's likely that the amp is healthy -  manufacturers use Slo Blo type fuses (of the required rating) to enable the amp to cope with 'Inrush Current' to the PSU. This is a one-off power surge which occurs when the power supply caps first start charging up to operating voltage and is fairly instantaneous, hence a relatively slow-acting fuse won't respond, whilst a permanent fault will endure and blow the fuse

So why did the original fuse blow?

- old/incorrect fuse finally expired;

- actual/marginal fault condition developing (would need further checking)

hth

• 2 months later...

I had an iamp 800 about 7 years ago, it suffered a massive drop in output/volume, took it for repair, the guy said it had been worked on in the past, sorted it, but I wasn't confident that it would be reliable long term.

Missed this thread originally. My one has a 3A sticker and appears to be older than the one in the for-sale thread so I guess they uprated the fuse for later designs.

The fan should come on as soon as the amp powers up.