Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I have the Thomastik nylon ocre strings on my acoustic and although they sound much more mellow than steel core strings, they certainly don't sound like a double bass.

I'd go for either the Thomastik flatwounds or the Rotosound black nylon wrapped jobbies - the latter in particular will give you loads of doghouse style thump.

[quote name='TheRev' post='481959' date='May 7 2009, 01:43 PM']I have the Thomastik nylon ocre strings on my acoustic and although they sound much more mellow than steel core strings, they certainly don't sound like a double bass.

I'd go for either the Thomastik flatwounds or the Rotosound black nylon wrapped jobbies - the latter in particular will give you loads of doghouse style thump.[/quote]

+1 for the Rotos. I'm not normally a fan of their strings, but I've got the bklack nylon ones on my cheapo acoustic, and they sound great.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='482940' date='May 8 2009, 02:01 PM']I have been informed by a reliable source that the black nylon wound rotosounds emit the same sound as someone kicking a cardboard box :)[/quote]

Quite a tuneful cardboard box...... :rolleyes:

Actually that reminds me - about a year ago in Jersey I saw a pair of street buskers, and one of them was playing essentially a broom handle on a wooden box with baling twine as a string. She pulled back on the broom handle top tighten or slacken the string to cahneg notes. It made a credible bass sound........

So maybe thats where the idea for the Rotos came from.....

I had Rotosound flats on my Tanglewood TW55. They sound really nice - very double bassy.

But I have recently (a month or so ago) swapped them out for Thomastik Infeld Acousticore (nylon cored strings)
I now dont have the double bass sound I had previously but my playing of the acoustic has improved and I am a lot more articulate using these. I think the E string is around .85 in size compared to the 110(?) that the roto's had.

Much easier to play but a lot brighter. I love the sound and wont be swapping back anytime soon - Try the Acousticores if you can :)

(Sound like roto flats are what you want tho)