Why become a member? ×

Pre 2000 Warwick serial numbers

Rayman

Damn sure it’s been covered before…

I’m trying to find details of a mid 90s Warwick bass. The serial number finder on the website only covers post 2000 instruments. So does anyone know how to find the information on older instruments?

The serial numbers was stamped into the wood on the end of the headstock.

This was my 87 Thumb, the K148 is the model reference and month, ie K14 is the 5 string thumb through neck, 8 is August (I think that's right) 87 is the year. (obvs).

I sold this bass a few years ago, and I think that's what Warwick came back with when the buyer enquired.

DSC_0012.thumb.JPG.94e1014b7e1c7618c97f405a0aff6365.JPG

The letter stamp is the month: A=Jan B=Feb etc excluding the letter 'i'.  The number following the letter is the sequential number of bass it is that month.  The 2 digit number is the year.  

K148 87 = October 1987 the 148th bass that month

There is the odd exception (Ltd Ed) which vary a little but they are easily read.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

All correct except neck is Wenge (as is fingerboard).  What makes you think it is aftermarket EQ?  Looks like period correct MEC.

Awesome sir thank you for the info.

The EQ…..  thought it looked right too…. but some bloke on the Warwick forum said… “definitely aftermarket” ….. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Rayman said:

I guess that because it had stacked knobs…. it looked like an aftermarket job. I don’t know if this EQ was available as standard. It’s certainly a neat and tidy job.

Doh!  Really should have looked at the front of the bass for the knobs.  Yep that doesn't look right; it didn't come with stacked pairs.  Someone has done a tidy job. As it happens Warwick couldn't have helped you with that info, as it is after market.  What brand is it on the board?

53 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Doh!  Really should have looked at the front of the bass for the knobs.  Yep that doesn't look right; it didn't come with stacked pairs.  Someone has done a tidy job. As it happens Warwick couldn't have helped you with that info, as it is after market.  What brand is it on the board?

Alpha pots…. Artec board??

4 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

The letter stamp is the month: A=Jan B=Feb etc excluding the letter 'i'.  The number following the letter is the sequential number of bass it is that month.  The 2 digit number is the year.  

K148 87 = October 1987 the 148th bass that month

There is the odd exception (Ltd Ed) which vary a little but they are easily read.

That's correct, I looked up the email Warwick sent me.

*update*

HPW from Warwick replied to my email this morning with a full and detailed spec on the bass, what it originally was built as and all other relevant information.

Superb after care from Warwick, and details on the EQ, from them that would return it to stock.

It was built as an active bass with passive pickups, and frankly it’s a mystery to both of us why the modest Thomann Pre is currently in it.

Next…. will be to replace said parts with something decent.

• Like 1

I had to get the EMG pre replaced few yrs ago when it packed in. Only option Warwick could offer was the MEC one which was fitted by Luthier in Edinburgh and it sounds good. I think i preferred the EMG pre but that could be all in my head. The EMG pre was the encapsulated box version.

Dave