Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman

Current issue of Bass Player has a two page spread on the new Sterling by Musicman range of basses. Essentially a Stingray (Ray34), Stingray 5 (Ray35) and a Sterling (SB14) made under license in Korea/Indonesia and set up in California. $600-700 a pop.

If you're interested; [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/"]Sterling by Musicman[/url].

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='480482' date='May 5 2009, 10:49 PM']Current issue of Bass Player has a two page spread on the new Sterling by Musicman range of basses. Essentially a Stingray (Ray34), Stingray 5 (Ray35) and a Sterling (SB14) made under license in Korea/Indonesia and set up in California. $600-700 a pop.

If you're interested; [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/"]Sterling by Musicman[/url].

P[/quote]

I should add I'm not in the market for one of these.

UK distribution is Strings & Things. £639-£749. Sometimes you just have to wonder where these companies have their heads at. I know, exchange rates/ripoff Britain etc. but do they realise there's a recession on? For £750 would likely buy you a decentish second-hand [i]original [/i]Musicman, or certainly a Warwick or Lakland.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to ship these products into the UK direct from Indonesia for set up rather than ramping up two lots of import duties?
P

I kinda wondered where Musicman's head was at when not only did they discontinue the SUB but then OLP went out of buisness too...
Seriously, if Fender offer various cheaper versions (Korea, Mexico, Japan etc) of their American counterparts...Why can't Musicman?
Maybe if they did a few budget ranges and helped the working class there would be more chance of some folk buying Stringrays they can currently not afford LOL!

But this "Recession" whatever it really is, in the UK it's putting prices up not down.
This year saw many basses rocket.
The Yamaha Attitude II went from £899 to £1350 for example...for what reason?
And the Fender Urge II the same...cept that was expensive to begin with.

So this could be good news as in, Musicman are approaching the problem...but is there any point when,as you said, you can buy secondhand for that price.
Now, are these Stringrays only gonna be H like SUB's were? (I never saw a HH SUB anyways).
I really want a HH Stringray but cannot afford the £1500 price tag!

[quote name='Kongo' post='480553' date='May 5 2009, 11:53 PM']I kinda wondered where Musicman's head was at when not only did they discontinue the SUB but then OLP went out of buisness too...[/quote]

They were losing money on the SUB and OLP QC was too variable in the cheaper models.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='480572' date='May 6 2009, 12:26 AM']They were losing money on the SUB and OLP QC was too variable in the cheaper models.[/quote]
I think this may be their compromise then I mean, it's all fair and good keeping a high price to keep a certain owners caste but...Well I think they are great basses and I want one but for £1500 there's better to be had.
Here's hoping they see the light with this range...But isn't this just SUB with a new badge name?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='480494' date='May 5 2009, 10:57 PM']For £750 would likely buy you a decentish second-hand [i]original [/i]Musicman, or certainly a Warwick or Lakland.[/quote]

Definitely. I got mine and sold mine on for sub £700. Tbh I think it's insane to by a MM new, their value drops too quickly after buying.

I mean seriously, look what you can get for £750 on the for sale section...