Why become a member? ×

Speakon cable and wiring advice please

SH73

Hello, I acquired an empty TC electronic K-212 bass cab . It has two speakon inputs. I'd like.tonconnect it to an amp with a jack output. I have found lots of speakon to jack cables online but TC electronic website doesn't specify which speakon I need, two pin , four pin? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update : I installed two Eminence 16 ohm 12 inch bass speakers, and would like to use this cab with Thunder bass nano legacy head with speaker output 4-16 ohm.

There's also a tweeter in the cab and harness ready to hook up the speakers, see photo. How do I hook this up? I watched you tube videos, but would prefer advice from BC.thanks. the harness pic attached. I presume the green and yellow are for the tweeter and black and red for speakers parralel or series configuration. The tweeter has no 8 on one connector.

16928667347027830777624808294548.jpg

16928669661121312460099654934052.jpg

16928670189904502189316805529587.jpg

16928671773497003995267221459505.jpg

Edited by SH73
Update

I think (and someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong) that either a 2-pole or a 4-pole will do as the speaker will be connected to 1+ and 1-, and a jack to speakon lead would also connect to 1+ and 1-. Do get genuine Neutrik plugs though, pattern parts can have incompatibilities that make them difficult to get out of the socket (I haven't had any problems myself but others have).

I bought a speakon to 1/4 jack in Amazon so I can test the cab once I have install the speakers..the inputs are Neutrik on the cab so probably will be better t get Neutrik cable. 

Please see updated post with pics.

Edited by SH73

• SH73 changed the title to Speakon cable and wiring advice please

Connect the green and yellow wires to the tweeter, observing the polarity marks on the PCB.

It looks like the cab was originally wired in series. If you have two 16-ohm drivers, you'll want to connect them in parallel. So, take the black and red wires coming from the Speakon and connect them to the first driver. Then take another pair of wires from the first driver to the second one. 

lighter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Connect the green and yellow wires to the tweeter, observing the polarity marks on the PCB.

It looks like the cab was originally wired in series. If you have two 16-ohm drivers, you'll want to connect them in parallel. So, take the black and red wires coming from the Speakon and connect them to the first driver. Then take another pair of wires from the first driver to the second one. 

lighter

So that should be 8 ohm in parralel for two 16 ohm drivers. 

I think I may need to remove PCB to find out the polarity as it may be concealed on the other side. Also the tweeter does not seem to have the polarity marked , unless the connectors on the tweeter marked as 8 means red +; and the black means black i.e. -

Yes, connecting two 16-ohm drivers in parallel will give your cab an impedance of 8 ohms. You're right about red and black - they stand for + and -.

If you can't see any markings on the PCB, you'll have to try the polarity both ways and listen. Choose the polarity that gives you the most treble. The easiest way would be to assemble the cab, listen - and then remove the tweeter, swap the wires and listen again. Then choose the polarity you prefer.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevie said:

Yes, connecting two 16-ohm drivers in parallel will give your cab an impedance of 8 ohms. You're right about red and black - they stand for + and -.

If you can't see any markings on the PCB, you'll have to try the polarity both ways and listen. Choose the polarity that gives you the most treble. The easiest way would be to assemble the cab, listen - and then remove the tweeter, swap the wires and listen again. Then choose the polarity you prefer.

It appears that on the reverse side of the PCB the black is linked to green wire meaning , should be (-) minus..

• Like 1

The tweeter makes  a hissing noise,.but seemedmtomproduce some sound . When I disconnected there was definitely an absence of sound coming out the tweeter hole. I don't need it tbh , so can I leave the PCB connected but the two cables just hinging there with isolated ends. Or would removing a PCB be a better option? 

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. If you want to disconnect the tweeter you must bypass the crossover. Do not simply disconnect the tweeter. The easiest solution is to leave the crossover where it is, remove all the wires going to it, and then connect one black and one red wire from your Speakons to your two bass drivers - as per the diagram above. If you leave the crossover in circuit with the tweeter disconnected, you are likely to damage your amp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. If you want to disconnect the tweeter you must bypass the crossover. Do not simply disconnect the tweeter. The easiest solution is to leave the crossover where it is, remove all the wires going to it, and then connect one black and one red wire from your Speakons to your two bass drivers - as per the diagram above. If you leave the crossover in circuit with the tweeter disconnected, you are likely to damage your amp.

I have left the wires just hanging with ends taped with electrical tape. That explains the high pitch 1/2 second sound when I switch on the amp. Will remove the wires. Thanks for heads up.

• Like 1