Why become a member? ×

Hi to all you other Bassbones out there...!

sandy_r

Bassbones?

well, as i see it, if our percussion buddies provide a band's heartbeat, then we Bassists hold it all together! 😉

Greetings from the (occasionally) Sunny South, Dorset-Hants border

Given that i started playing bass over 50yrs ago, i should be some kind of maestro now, but sadly not!  i have, however, been fortunate to join some very talented musicians over the years and have some great recordings to remind me of what it's all about.  on a break from gigs at the moment whilst supporting an ailing parent 

not really into the gear side of things - i have some trusty instruments, prefer unadulterated bass sounds usually (play more fretless now), so really only need sound re-inforcement sympathetic to that, and at a level suitable to the event (i have a range of gear from DIY battery busking amp to 200+200W generic amp into 2x12 cab)

fretless basses include: Yamaha (BB4?), Aria Sinsonido (used as EUB), Ubass, & DIY project; fretted: a venerable 60s Hagstrom electro-acoustic rescue

cheers

sandy

• Like 2

Thanks folks, good to meet you

Yes, the (pre-loved) Sinsonido was a great find a few years back, whilst my pub band was still gigging - the light weight was great (for the person with the heaviest gear, and the PA, to lug around!). It was fretted then and I loved the sound for that band.  I had it converted to fretless a little while back, to start using it as an EUB with an acoustic-oriented band, and it seems to have come into its own all over again ...haven't touched the Yamaha for years!

s.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

A friend lent me his Sinsonido as the very first bass I ever played. Fun things. 

Check the events thread, and see if you can make it to the SW Bass Bash in October. Lots of nice people to meet and talk to  - and the best food of any bash as @scrumpymike will tell anyone within earshot. 

30 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Check the events thread, and see if you can make it to the SW Bass Bash in October. Lots of nice people to meet and talk to  - and the best food of any bash as @scrumpymike will tell anyone within earshot. 

hi Richard & Snorkie

Thanks for the warm welcome from folks here!  Thanks also for the invite to the SWBB - actually i was wondering if i could join the feast ...oops, i mean fest.  For some reason  the concept of a rail network serving the SW was beyond Mr Kipling, Mr Beeching  ...whoever, so now it's a fantastic service if you live in Bristol and want to visit Bath (Excuse me slipping into "One Foot in the  er, Mouth" mode)  😞

I checked the plans for SEBB and that seems more feasible - my muso galavanting is somewhat curtailed these days as i make daily visits to an ailing parent to ensure regular intake of meds (and i'm the only family member available to do so).  Nae problem, though, my old pal Baldrick and I are never short of a cunning plan, or two!

cheers

sandy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Just post on the thread that you'll try to make it, you don't even need a bass TBH, as there are usually a lot, though the Sinsonido will be appreciated. 

I can't make that one, or the SE one later on unfortunately 😪

Ok, will do - will have to be an 'intention, tbc nearer the date'.  Yes, was thinking either the Sinsonido, or Ubass

i realise that folks will be limited as to which one(s) they can attend, so i'll just say hope to meet you at one downstream

• Like 1