Why become a member? ×

Volume Pedal demystification ... anyone?

Pirellithecat

Hi, 

From time to time I need to use a volume pedal - sometimes just to fade in/out, but more importantly to tailor any volume "jumps" when using effects pedals. Use active and passive basses and the Volume Pedal sits at the end of a modest pedal board (Bass >Tuner> Compressor> POG> Drive> Big Muff>Freeze>Volume Pedal > Amp).   
I'm guessing that, whether I'm using an Active or Passive Bass that by the time the signal gets to the Volume Pedal it "sees" an "Active" signal and therefore I need a low impedance Volume Pedal. 

But am I right??  

Any guidance on models that work well in this situation?  Active or Passive pedal? 
I have a small Sonik Cake Volume Pedal, but as it has no spring/resistance it's rather difficult to use in a subtle way, it tends to be either on or off!  
Any suggestions?

What's a "freeze" pedal ?

It doesn't matter if the bass is passive or active.

Is the last pedal that's feeding the volume pedal is digital, then use a volume pedal with 20-25 kohm.

Last pedal analoge, use 250-500 kohm.

This is my suggestion, others are velcome to chip in.

Thanks,

Freeze pedal Sustains the note you're playing when you stomp on it!   Leaving you free to play on - a kind of Drone. 

I don't use any delay or reverb, So I guess any volume pedal can stay at the end of the FX chain. 

Any recommendations in terms of Brands/Models ?    

Have you considered a compressor or limiter at the end of the chain instead? This is what I use to iron out peaks in different pedals, particularly when you’re running multiple together. It’s an always on effect that just keeps that volume threshold constant.

Your volume swells can then be handled with a volume pedal at the start of the chain or by simply using the volume knob on your bass.

Volume pedals have a place at the end of the chain, if you need to volume fade ongoing/sustaining effects that otherwise will still be heard (feedback, delay etc.), but using one to try and adjust the volume of various effects/effect combos is going to be messy sounding and a constant battle compared to using a limiter, as they are literally made for the job.