Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: New unused set of Pirastro Eudoxas 3/4 - *SOLD*
£400
Whitstable

Long story but I bought these when I bought my Pfreftzchner Ali bass, largely because the bass itself was under my budget and because the seller recommended them on the instrument in question. A few months on and I'm very happy with the combination of Evah's and guts I have one there and am not sure using these will improve things much. I'm going to have to suck up a bit of a financial loss, but in the grand scheme of things.............

Bought from Stringzone, RRP £673 (I know......). They're still in original packaging, never removed, and carton etc https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/pirastro-eudoxa-double-bass-strings-set

56AD905D-20B9-40A9-89C5-046FD807D79B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a526ad03e69a1794cd831044cabdd9c4.jpeg

56AD905D-20B9-40A9-89C5-046FD807D79B_1_201_a.heic

Edited by Beedster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Nick, yes these are now extremely expensive, I have no idea how the prices are justified other than by the fact that people still pay them (and there are 'awaiting delivery' labels on most sites reinforcing this).

I'm sure that they will compliment any instrument and player. As I mentioned when I listed them, I have it on very authority that they worked very well on the bass I currently own, but then I'm also very happy with the tone I'm getting, so I'm a little torn between trying them out and possibly being dazzled, or leaving on my current strings and staying pleasantly contented with my tone!

A very First World problem of course 🤔

Used to love the sound of them on my dad's 220 yr old cello.  Doubt the full benefit would be revealed on a tin bass.

As for the crazy price ... There is no substitute if that's the sound you want.  And the cats who's guts they use to make them, live a cossitted life of luxury, fed only on smoked salmon, beluga caviar and double cream.  Pricey.

On 07/09/2023 at 20:42, NickA said:

Used to love the sound of them on my dad's 220 yr old cello.  Doubt the full benefit would be revealed on a tin bass.

As for the crazy price ... There is no substitute if that's the sound you want.  And the cats who's guts they use to make them, live a cossitted life of luxury, fed only on smoked salmon, beluga caviar and double cream.  Pricey.

Can't disagree with any of that 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • Beedster changed the title to FS/FT: New unused set of Pirastro Eudoxas 3/4
  • wateroftyne unlocked this topic
On 24/09/2023 at 09:20, Beedster said:

Right, decision made, these are going on my 4/4 👍

Mmm, or that would have been the case had my 4/4 not been a very long example of a 4/4, so having done the measuring it's too close to call and these are still unused in their original packaging. Happy to talk offers or trades/PX, I need a decent bow, and anything else DB-related is always of interest 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO keen to try these on my 4/4 and have found several methods of doing so without compromising the strings so this is likely the final bump before next weekend is spent replacing my current ebony tailpiece with a longer and much lighter graphite version, adjusting tail-wire and bridge height and position, applying a whole lot of appropriate poweder to the nut and bridge, and then VERY carefully installing these beauties :) 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Beedster changed the title to FS/FT: New unused set of Pirastro Eudoxas 3/4 **SOLD**