Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the "Vox MV 50 CL Clean" Nutube based 50W mini amp with bass?

Baloney Balderdash

Anyone tried the Vox MV 50 CL Clean, 50W mini amp (designed with guitar in mind) featuring a Nutube based preamp and a Class D poweramp, as a bass amp, and if so what was your experience?

Eventually with the EQ "Deep" switch on the back panel, originally meant for improving the bass response of the mini cabinet the Vox also sells and makes for them (and not needed for regular cabinets, but thought it might still be useful when used for bass maybe)?

12321102_800.jpg12321012_800.jpg

I am really intrigued by it, and I don't really need more than the 50W @ 4Ohm RMS it is rated to be able to deliver.

Love how it looks, and it only weight slightly above 0.5 Kg/1 lbs.

Actually small enough to be fitted on a pedal board, about the same size as 2 standard Boss pedals. 

Pretty cheap too: 1490 Danish Kroner/199 Euro/175£ at Thomann.

And it generally gets really great reviews, used for guitar, as intended, at least (haven't been able to find any info about people using it as a bass amp).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• Baloney Balderdash changed the title to Anyone tried the "Vox MV 50 CL Clean" Nutube based 50W mini amp with bass?

I have the MV50AC and it's awesome but I've not plugged a bass into it. I might do it when I get home but I imagine it won't sound that great. I actually have an AC30 in my office and when I've plugged a bass into that, it has lacked bottom end but it has been ok to practice with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I have the MV50AC and it's awesome but I've not plugged a bass into it. I might do it when I get home but I imagine it won't sound that great. I actually have an AC30 in my office and when I've plugged a bass into that, it has lacked bottom end but it has been ok to practice with

Also with an actual bass cab connected?

20 minutes ago, police squad said:

No just a normal ac30 with blue speakers 

Well that explains it.

I am pretty certain the guitar speaker/cab to a much larger extend is the culprit for the thin tone, rather than the actual amp as such.

Your typical speaker and cab designed with guitar in mind is simply not made to reproduce the kind of low end that comes from a bass, whereas most guitar amps actually will sound fine with bass hooked up to an appropriate bass cab, some even great.

Though still my best bet is that the Vox MV50 CL will sound better with bass than your Vox MV50 AC, as I imagine the CL likely will be voiced flatter and pretty certainly will have bigger clean headroom as well.

But unfortunately it seems like no one here has actually tested it to confirm or deny this qualified guess.

Though I would still very much be interested in hearing from you regarding how the MV50 AC worked hooked up to a proper bass cab (with the Deep switch on the back of the amp respectively being disengaged and engaged).

20 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well that explains it.

I am pretty certain the guitar speaker/cab to a much larger extend is the culprit for the thin tone, rather than the actual amp as such.

Your typical speaker and cab designed with guitar in mind is simply not made to reproduce the kind of low end that comes from a bass, whereas most guitar amps actually will sound fine with bass hooked up to an appropriate bass cab, some even great.

Though still my best bet is that the Vox MV50 CL will sound better with bass than your Vox MV50 AC, as I imagine the CL likely will be voiced flatter and pretty certainly will have bigger clean headroom as well.

But unfortunately it seems like no one here has actually tested it to confirm or deny this qualified guess.

Though I would still very much be interested in hearing from you regarding how the MV50 AC worked hooked up to a proper bass cab (with the Deep switch on the back of the amp respectively being disengaged and engaged).

I will try this out for you to see what it sounds like. I'll do it when I get home today and try to make a video on my phone

• Like 1

I'll agree that the NuTube clip I found was a pleasing sound. The AC4? clip was not as clear but the amp had a little 'something' that was pleasant but a single ended Class A amp can't take you much past a practice amp and limited at that.

My own experiments into small pre-amps involves a journey into wire in double triodes. I've designed the unit but have yet to assemble it. Possibly a project for the fall. :)

Back in the Sixties I borrowed an AC30B the bass version of the AC30. I was not expecting much from it but I needed an amp to play the gig. Much to my pleasant surprise the thing filled the Silver Blades Ice Rink in Liverpool. It was a sloped stage and the amp was walking down the stage but it handled everything my EB2 could throw at it! :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 22:49, BassmanPaul said:

Back in the Sixties I borrowed an AC30B the bass version of the AC30. I was not expecting much from it but I needed an amp to play the gig. Much to my pleasant surprise the thing filled the Silver Blades Ice Rink in Liverpool. It was a sloped stage and the amp was walking down the stage but it handled everything my EB2 could throw at it! :)

In the early 70’s I used an AC 30 Top Boost, I think that was the term, with a Fender Musicmaster bass. I never used the top boost function and it sounded ok back then in a fairly loud pub rock band. Substantial, read heavy, beasts. Two things there I wish I still had. 

• Like 1