Why become a member? ×

EMG BTC preamp frequency diagram question- help needed

Now, I am a total Luddite when it comes to anything to do with scientific/electronics type things so am looking for some help please. 

I have a lovely Spector Bantam that I have been gigging with but find the EMG BTC preamp a bit too hot/sparkly for me on the treble settings but have read up on it being adjustable via two switches which offers a combination of settings. 

I've found the diagrams but in truth it's absolutely double-Dutch to me.  I can't work out which combination of the four switching options would help cool down the treblyness (if any of them would) and would be grateful if some assistance. I appreciate that I could probably eq a lot out on the amp but I'd rather try and address as much as I can by altering the preamp. 

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

IMG_5658.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

• Old Horse Murphy changed the title to EMG BTC preamp frequency diagram question- help needed

That option on paper seems to offer the greatest amount of treble cut. I take it you have the treble control set to cut in order to try and get the top end to your taste? However it might be that you really want the upper-mids taming, in which case one of the first two options might suit you better.

Personally. I'd just try each one a see which (if any) you like the best. The worst that can happen is you won't like any...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first two will boost or cut a band of frequencies, the first centred on just over 2kHz and the second between 3 and 4kHz, while the third and fourth will boost or cut all treble starting at 200Hz (3) or 100Hz (4). So applying treble boost with 1 or 2 won't push the higher frequencies up as much as the frequencies at the centre of the band.