Why become a member? ×

N(S)AD - Ampeg V4B Classic Series

ahpook

New (Serviced) Amp Day(ish)

I bought this wonderful slice of valvey goodness a couple of weeks ago, but it needed some TLC - a good clean, some reflowing, new output valves and rebiasing.

That's all finished and it sounds...well, amazing, to be honest. I used to use an SVT -Pro preamp but that's now too old and badly-behaved to use.  I've been after something to replace it for a while. After ruling out any flavour of SVT (too loud, too heavy), the recent reissue V4B seemed an option, but this 1997 version turned up for sale, and just seemed a better bet - cheaper than the new reissues too :)

It does the Ampeg break-up, ludicrous amounts of bottom end and smells divine when it's all warmed up. I'm a very happy man.

IMG_20230617_145444519.jpg

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Really nice, wasn’t they made in the USA too 

They were indeed - this one in St. Louis.

The construction looks top-notch, and being 90s, not an surface mount component in sight- a joy to work on.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I was looking for one of these last year but failed after about 3 months keeping an eye out on here, FB, eBay etc but not one appeared.. I was only after the head as I wanted the SVT flavour for use at the studio but without the bother of the expensive 6550s and the weight.. In the end I bought an entire stack with a 'full fat' SVT CL, 410HE and 115E - far more than planned!

Glad you've brought this lovely amplifier back to life, it's very cool indeed - hope you enjoy it as much as I do my SVT. ❤️

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, VTypeV4 said:

I was looking for one of these last year but failed after about 3 months keeping an eye out on here, FB, eBay etc but not one appeared.. I was only after the head as I wanted the SVT flavour for use at the studio but without the bother of the expensive 6550s and the weight.. In the end I bought an entire stack with a 'full fat' SVT CL, 410HE and 115E - far more than planned!

Glad you've brought this lovely amplifier back to life, it's very cool indeed - hope you enjoy it as much as I do my SVT. ❤️

It's certainly a lot more manageable weight-wise than an SVT :)

Glad you got your stack though - I be it sounds formidable !

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 22:41, northcountrybob said:

Love the V4B. I used to own a VT22 combo which was crazy heavy. Like an ultra linear twin. Never seen this version. Looks great! 

I like the 80/90s styling. The V4BH (which this basically is as far as I can tell) had a more classic look, but...this one has a red V. That's so much better :)

• Like 1

On 09/07/2023 at 00:29, ahpook said:

It's certainly a lot more manageable weight-wise than an SVT :)

Glad you got your stack though - I be it sounds formidable !

It's a fantastic tool, thanks. 😀  Enjoy the V4, I expect it's equally useful but with a bit more 'vintage mojo' going on - super cool. 😀

• Like 1