Why become a member? ×

How to wire Jazz bass with series/Parallel switch.

RikiB

Got a J bass and want to have a push pull know to switch between series and Parallel to make it sound a bit more like a P bass at times.

anyone know how to do this or somewhere that does a pre-made wiring loom in UK?

I loved the sound of the series on jazz

https://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/jass_bass_sp.pdf

12 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I tried hard wiring my pups in parallel and it ruined the sound of my Jazz 

Didnt sound like a Jazz or a PBass !

Thats odd because with both volumes on a jazz full, that is exactly how it is wired.

But doesn’t adding a switch to make them parallel beef the sound up and sound more like 1 pickup like a P bass?

Mines just standard atm and I use neck 100% full and the bridge maybe 80% on.

sounds good but to me my P basses sound better. But I want to get this Jazz sounding great and make it my #1. 

3 minutes ago, RikiB said:

But doesn’t adding a switch to make them parallel beef the sound up and sound more like 1 pickup like a P bass?

sounds good but to me my P basses sound better. But I want to get this Jazz sounding great and make it my #1. 

Ok Ive just been there too

Firstly put both pups on full and on your amp or EQ pedal boost the low mids 400-800hz approx and set your amp input and level based on both pups on fully. 

You will get a very nice sound that in my opinion is even nicer than the PBass tone 

Try it .. for me it works instead of trying to make it sound near to a PBass. 

The natural thing is turn one pick up down and the volume increases and you set things like that. The Jazz bass is sounding its best with both pups fully open but it scoops the mids. The deep lows and highs are there but no low mids. If you boost the low mids on your amp or EQ pedal the sound is huge and very very nice

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RikiB said:

Series makes them louder - parallel is what you have already. Doesn't really make it sound like a P bass, it sounds like a louder jazz, but a bit different.

1 minute ago, RikiB said:

Well, it won't sound like a P. Maybe it will sound better, depends on a lot of things.

Something like the MXR 6 band ( that’s what I use ) or Boss GEB-7 ( someone selling one on here ) 

It really does work .. I tried different pickups, wiring in series, Rotosound s/s strings and I was not impressed. 

Popped Fender Pure Nickel Roundwounds on her, stock pups and adjusted the EQ using me MXR in front of amp and gigged it ( instead of my PBass ) and it was one of the best sounds I’ve ever had !! ( I play rock ) 

Definitely punchy, present in the mix and deep lows that filled the room. 

Stopped me selling it !! 

• Like 1

Didn’t Fender themselves dabble with this (S1 switch) in order to allow Jazz players to run the pups in series and attempt a more Precision-like sound? Seem to recall it was in  some mid 00’s instruments IIRC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Didn’t Fender themselves dabble with this (S1 switch) in order to allow Jazz players to run the pups in series and attempt a more Precision-like sound? Seem to recall it was in  some mid 00’s instruments IIRC.

Yes I have a 2006 Jazz with the S1 switch. It works very well when you need a bit of extra thump.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Something like the MXR 6 band ( that’s what I use ) or Boss GEB-7 ( someone selling one on here ) 

It really does work .. I tried different pickups, wiring in series, Rotosound s/s strings and I was not impressed. 

Popped Fender Pure Nickel Roundwounds on her, stock pups and adjusted the EQ using me MXR in front of amp and gigged it ( instead of my PBass ) and it was one of the best sounds I’ve ever had !! ( I play rock ) 

Definitely punchy, present in the mix and deep lows that filled the room. 

Stopped me selling it !! 

Would you mind posting a picture of your eq settings?

im looking at those exact 2 pedals right now 

25 minutes ago, lonestar said:

Yes I have a 2006 Jazz with the S1 switch. It works very well when you need a bit of extra thump.

I remember the S1 switch in a Telecaster Baja I played,didn’t realise they did that to basses to

32 minutes ago, lonestar said:

Yeah I had a few of those, one I wished I’d kept, I think they were around from about 2003 until 2008

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah I had a few of those, one I wished I’d kept, I think they were around from about 2003 until 2008

I love mine. It's probably been played at more gigs than all my other instruments combined

• Like 2

I leave it on all the time.

No it doesn’t sound like a PBass it sounds like a Jazz bass but with more mids so it sits in the mix better 

Jazz bass is deeper than a PBass but lacks low mids when both pickups are on. Tonight I tried it at rehearsals and both pickups on with EQ pedal = nice tone 

Turn bridge pup down to say 50% and it sounds a little louder but deeper and darker ( not really PBass or Jazz ) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RikiB said:

Now got to figure out which to get old black with red led’s or newer silver with blue.

Do you know if there’s any difference except paint between the M109 and M109S?

Get the silver one it’s quieter 👍