Why become a member? ×

iPad 1st gen 64gb

rwillett

Original 1st Gen. 64gb. Pretty much mint condition. Only supports ios5. 

whilst this is old, I hate to just throw it away. I work in IT and even I can’t find any use for it. I am happy to post it for free so long as you can make use of it. It even comes with a leather case. 

It’s such a waste to bin it 😒

rob

• Like 2

Paul

The iPad is running IOS 5, thats pretty old. It plays videos well but I have no idea if it would support anything like you're looking at. I would be delighted if it did, but you'll need to check IOS versions and software versions. if you can use it, its yours.

Rob

Richard,

Running Linux on an ipad is an interesting exercise. I can still recall downloading Yyradsill (how do you spell it?) via UUCP onto 5.25" floppies in the early 90's. I suspect that dates me somewhat. The Ipad Air 2 is a later model and whilst it's possible (I suspect) to backport it, my days of rebuilding Linux kernels is a loooooong way behind me. I still have nightmares and therapy about trying to get a symmetrical kernel built in the late 90's, I spent months trying to debug it and failed miserably. Running make -j and trying to guess the number of parallel builds threads I could run. I have better things to do with my life, including learning Money from Pink Floyd.

I would be delighted to give it to someone who can use it, but it's an old lady now. It was my first iPad and has sentimental value, but I have an iPad Pro for general use and a dedicated iPad for Bias FX 2. The kids have more recent ones and this is just left on the shelf. I just want someone to use it, I don't really care what for, but is such a waste to throw away.

Rob

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rwillett said:

I have better things to do with my life, including learning Money from Pink Floyd.

That's how I feel about Linix too, but I have seen it done.

Like you say, shame to bin something just because it's O/S isn't supported.

• Like 1

If the battery is till OK, I'll take this. I just need a web browser to control my monitor mix.  We've got one of those fancy mixers that let each of us in the band do that. 

EDIT: Just seen that PaulThePlug has offered to take it, so will naturally get to the back of the queue.

About a decade ago, I had to  finally gave up on Linux advocate / evangelist.  I just lost my faith that it would ever be desktop ready.  One guy at work still holds the faith, good for him.

9 hours ago, Richard R said:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/developers-get-linux-up-and-running-on-old-ipad-air-2-hardware/

Possibly install a linux distro? Though personally I find life is too short for Linux...

Edited by Sharkfinger

9 minutes ago, Sharkfinger said:

If the battery is till OK, I'll take this. I just need a web browser to control my monitor mix.  We've got one of those fancy mixers that let each of us in the band do that. 

EDIT: Just seen that PaulThePlug has offered to take it, so will naturally get to the back of the queue.

About a decade ago, I had to  finally gave up on Linux advocate / evangelist.  I just lost my faith that it would ever be desktop ready.  One guy at work still holds the faith, good for him.

I use Linux a lot at home but it's all server based and on an ESXI server. I downsized from a 32GB i7 ESXI to an i5 16GB ESXi server to save electricity. I run 6 or 7 VM's including the main firewall. Very secure and dead easy. I have run Linux desktops but its still not ready for most non-technical uses. I'm a big fan of Linux for the server and we have run very large databases on it with zero effort. Cost to us £0, an Oracle version would have cost circa £1M.

I have to look at the mails but I think you are third in the queue.

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1