Why become a member? ×

Buy cheap buy TWICE - and that's a good thing this time

Ander87

13 hours ago, Ander87 said:

image.png.e5e6a57a952589e9c2e86b89cf4e5f46.png

image.png.b5536bde9dd9b69e12708d7128550949.png

Right! so for the second Monday in a row I've a delivery from Thomann. Impressed by the V5R I took receipt of HERE I just had to give this a go...!

P5 in the same bloody colour - I know - a Sea of Foam Green should be my theme, but I couldn't resist since this colour for both Sires was nicer than the others to my taste.

image.thumb.png.c91ed0287f4dfb325c8d656b3cd8e61c.png

So, like I did on the previous post... Onto the bad first: NONE.

The setup was in this case perfect, neck/truss rod / pitch at 12th fret etc, all spot on - Potentially the bass I've bought new with the best setup, paired only by the Stingray I'd say (again, 6 times pricier...).

The frets in this bass are better finished yet than in the V5R too, only one scratches a teeny tiny bit on the 11th fret but again being picky.

Weight is a silly 3.75kg, and it balances very nicely, no head dive which is a plus.

I had read the pickups lacked bottom, I think they're spot on but I often boost treble on other P basses I've had so maybe it's down to my preference. I find them very balanced with presence in mids and highs, and again I will not be changing them in a while - maybe, MAYBE next year if we pop to the studio, just for the purpose of having things top spec'd in case it shows in the recordings... But then again admittedly more being a snob than needing a change. 

To illustrate, I took the V5R to a gig on Saturday and it was one of the best sounding live tones I've had.

DISCLAIMER: these basses sound amazingly to my ears and considering I have the Capo on my board, which makes everything sound just so so so good as many reviews will verify here.

Having an average amp and cab or crappier pedals will surely bring a worse result, but I think I've learnt to spread the demands of a rig across the cab, the amp, pedals etc; I used to put too much responsibility on the bass whilst my view now is that the bass is great long as it's well finished and feels comfortable.

One thing to point out that, even if it doesn't bother me, I can see how it'd bother others - the roast of the neck is super super dark - I do think it's potentially tinted as it doesn't make a lot of sense - add black dots and you won't see crap on the face of the board, BUT the dot markers on the side are white. I encountered a similar problem in a Sterling Ray34 where the dark side dots had to be replaced at my cost, seems like Sire got that right here though.

The neck is so dark that one could believe it's rosewood - again I quite like it as is down to taste - and the maple board has a very interesting 'light to dark' gradient here, again not sure if down to tinting it or natural, but I like it either way.

I will say that I prefer the tort pickguard in person even looking at my own pictures.

image.thumb.png.cf68f5c0be78c49d5e8489a504cc5778.png

image.thumb.png.658269e4a97d089b62f6b2baaae7187c.png

image.thumb.png.11eb28e34b79e5b94f84c60ac048a404.png

image.thumb.png.86484bb0ef824d7e392fec846a7ce3d4.png

• Like 12

If the first picture is on the cool side of the spectrum, this is a bit warmer but how my eyes would see it I think. 

Heck, doesn’t matter, we all know I just want to show these off 😂

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.438b40165d8965003dcb0cd5606fde51.jpeg

• Like 6

purest-green-blackadder.gif

How long was it stuck at "The goods have left our warehouse and are on their way to the border."?  I'm into the fourth (working) day of that, with an intervening weekend it's getting a bit old and my F5 key is going to file a restraining order against me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, neepheid said:

How long was it stuck at "The goods have left our warehouse and are on their way to the border."?

Hmm! Mine was about a couple working days. From order to delivered this was 4 working days, 5 working days on the V5R. 

image.thumb.png.c32ae2c50b8c67ea9564d8469a985834.png

ah man I hope it gets to you soon, I think at that stage it’s HMRC/DHL troubles. 

Dispatched 21/06 at 6am.  Heard hee haw since.  Surely I'm due a gurgle from the customs plughole today...

In the meantime, enjoy your basses!  I hope the neck on my D5 is roasted to within an inch of its life like your P5...

Edited by neepheid
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Dispatched 21/06 at 6am.  Heard hee haw since.  Surely I'm due a gurgle from the customs plughole today...

Ah man praying for them to clear soon, did you order?

my guitarist got a guitar from Argentina that spent 3 weeks in stansted last month waiting for HMRC 🤡 💀 

99/100 I would rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick, stuff honey in them and roll in a ant hill full of fire ants rather than look at a green guitar.

This is the 1/00. They look absolutely spot on. I'd put them on and flaunt them in my house.

Rob

• Haha 1

Hahahaha thanks a ton Rob! I was t too sure myself initially before I clicked the order button and has an element of cheesiness to it or make it look like I chose them for the colour… but it just works. The other finishes didn’t call me as much as these on the sire’s and the stingray is my all time ultimate favourite. 

Ander. 

12 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hahahaha thanks a ton Rob! I was t too sure myself initially before I clicked the order button and has an element of cheesiness to it or make it look like I chose them for the colour… but it just works. The other finishes didn’t call me as much as these on the sire’s and the stingray is my all time ultimate favourite. 

Ander. 

Ander

They look spot on, if you ever fancy a colour change, I’ll happily take them off your hands at absolutely no charge to you at all. Can’t say fairer than that. 

rob

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2023 at 10:02, neepheid said:

purest-green-blackadder.gif

How long was it stuck at "The goods have left our warehouse and are on their way to the border."?  I'm into the fourth (working) day of that, with an intervening weekend it's getting a bit old and my F5 key is going to file a restraining order against me.

Genius!!

• Like 2

Ah, had the Ric indeed, it was banging! 

Having said that I couldn’t justify all that money on gear, I’ve halved my gear value altogether which was much needed…!

DSC_8091.thumb.jpeg.52d6e3f3a5d816890ea56f1998255707.jpeg

IMG_1048.thumb.jpeg.cbef1dd72fa039d46c76a412c2606863.jpeg

IMG_0857.thumb.jpeg.b0265163453588f6cba450609006a22a.jpeg

it did treat me great though, live and on studio…!

Ander. 

• Like 3