Why become a member? ×

Does your guitar player use backline or just an amp&cab modeller / DI out from his pedalboard, through the PA?

Al Krow

10 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Our guitarist used an original POD for years, now he's using a Nux modeller, always straight into the PA He always sounds amazing! 

I think a lot of it is down to the guitarist. Around 20 years ago I played in a couple of covers bands where the guitarist used Line 6 Flextone amps. One guitarist always seemed to make the thing work for him and he sounded great; the other invariably had a thin sound, frequently with an overcooked (and usually completely unnecessary) chorus effect.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I think a lot of it is down to the guitarist. Around 20 years ago I played in a couple of covers bands where the guitarist used Line 6 Flextone amps. One guitarist always seemed to make the thing work for him and he sounded great; the other invariably had a thin sound, frequently with an overcooked (and usually completely unnecessary) chorus effect.

Yep, the same guy once got a great sound out of a marshall mg100, one of the most derided amps ever!

Some people have a prejudice against modellers but I can only assume they've just failed to understand how to get the sound they want

Same guitarist in my 2 bands has been a fan of the modelling stuff for nigh on 20 years; firstly into FRFR (before it was called FRFR), presently IEM no backline.  He has and uses combinations of AxeFX, Helix, Tone-x and I'm certain at least 3 more which all give a cracking FOH sound and the cheapest of these is a few hundred quid, not thousands, which when you compare to the price of a good amp/cab/combo is comparable by the time you've bought a set of IEM etc.  

I've been cajoled, goaded and theoretically bullied into foregoing my trad amp/cab for a preamp with amp sim or cab IR + IEM and I must say that it likely sounds great out front but as far as me monitoring how I sound through IEM you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine!  :/  

This is likely something to do with the desk set up and/or the PA owner/operator (said guitarist) but either way I am 1 or 2 gigs away from telling him/them to just deal with my backline as that's what I'll be using in future.  

11 hours ago, scalpy said:

Just done two gigs on Saturday. In the afternoon the guitarist used a fender combo and pedalboard, in the evening he used his kemper. Kemper ate the amp for breakfast. We videoed both, it was fun having amps onstage for the afternoon, but the sound is clearly worse and everyone was struggling with monitoring. In the evening the FOH sound is much clearer, even we’d added 3 horn players and a percussionist. The guitar and bass (both ampless) sounded tighter and more focussed, the vocals sound way clearer and monitoring (in ears both gigs) was much easier.

Would be great to see clips of both setups, if you're happy to upload? Not least as our guitarist is using a Fender Combo plus pedal board so the comparison with the breakfast-eating Kemper would be super helpful. 

• Like 1