Why become a member? ×

Fagan's 'Night Fly' bass line????

bubinga5

Great album, was disappointed by Kamakyriad (not sure if that could really be called a follow up album though, must have been about 10 years after NF). Anyone else recall when NF came out, Dave Lee Travis just got besotted with it and played tracks from it on his show for weeks on end?

[quote name='lowdown' post='515959' date='Jun 17 2009, 12:01 AM']It think it was supposed to be the ideal reference CD at the time,
Because of the pristine sound [of that time]

Garry[/quote]

Still is in some corners.... just track a long to PLASA or Frankfurt Pro- Audio halls and you'll hear it blasted from all corners.... along with The Eagles - When hell freezes over live CD......

[quote name='rslaing' post='515883' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:05 PM']It's well documented that both Fagen and Becker are notorious for attention to detail, even down to mixing the contributions of various drummers on the same track. I mean, even taking the snare of one drummer, the bass drum of another, and the high hat of another, and combining them whilst excluding other elements of their drum kits, to finish the track.

There is a video of Chuck Rainey somewhere, when he is casting some extremely disparaging remarks about Fagen and his approach in the recording process. He may have been "doing a wind up" but from what I recall, it didn't sound like it.

It's such a shame that Fagen, being a brilliant songwriter, is losing his vocal range/ability (not that it was his strong point in the first place) as can be heard in some of his live recordings on Youtube.

They certainly recruited some of the best musicians and bass players that would fit their genre, and to me, Tom Barney has to rank somewhere near the top.

But Carolyn Leonhart (the best singer they have employed in the back line) has to be the best "member" of all time to watch :rolleyes:

Yes, she's the one in the red trousers :brow:

And just how musical is the solo by Jon Hetherington the guitarist? Pass the tissues..............

[/quote]

Just a shame the guitar sounds like a wasp in a jam jar..... :)

Edited by casapete

Marcus sounds heavily Jamerson influenced on the track itself. The Nightfly is still used by some producers to check monitoring systems in studios, simply to prove what could be done with a record back in the day in the hands of a good production team.

It's hard to fault any of the bass players Steely Dan or Fagan have ever used, especially Tom Barney and Freddie Washington recently. I am a HUGE Steely Dan fan, but I do find their recent production sounds too clinical to my ears. Plus, I find it way to muso for me at times... it might sound ridiculous but it's almost like Fagan and Becker try a bit too hard sometimes.

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='515807' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:10 PM']Abraham Laboriel told me about this record. Bass parts were played by several players and edited and compiled to one bass track.[/quote]
Worth bearing in mind next time we're beating ourselves up for not being able to "play it like the record".

The bass players at the time couldn't either! :)

[quote name='casapete' post='517474' date='Jun 18 2009, 03:41 PM']Just a shame the guitar sounds like a wasp in a jam jar..... :)[/quote]
# "Are there wasps in the jar....? Yes, there's wasps in the jar. I think the people down the hall know who you are..." # :rolleyes:

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='517538' date='Jun 18 2009, 04:34 PM']# "Are there wasps in the jar....? Yes, there's wasps in the jar. I think the people down the hall know who you are..." # :)[/quote]
..chortles, spills coffee.. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='517558' date='Jun 18 2009, 04:42 PM']Did someone mention The Nightfly album doesn't swing??[/quote]Sorry, I love it to bits, when I looked at how many times I had played it on my ipod, it had been played the most but I do find it too perfect sometimes, maybe that says more about me. :)
Having said that, "Maxime" is wonderful and "The Goodbye Look" paints such a great image inside my head. I love Donalds lyrics more than anything.