Why become a member? ×

Second Bass Guitar Advice

John Lobb

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There is the fall back position of "it's not mine - it belongs to xxxx and I'm borrowing it/ looking after it for him so his wife doesn't know he bought it." 

This works unless your wife knows his wife.

Works for me…. I said it was yours

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheGreek said:

There is the fall back position of "it's not mine - it belongs to xxxx and I'm borrowing it/ looking after it for him so his wife doesn't know he bought it." 

This works unless your wife knows his wife.

Yeah i use that excuse all the time, & i don't even have a wife... 

• Haha 1

On 15/06/2023 at 18:52, garyt said:

The only right answer is to go to a guitar shop and try out a load of basses.  The only challenge will be convincing yourself not to try those basses outside your price range . 

Agree with Gary on this one. I am in a similar position, been playing for 2 years. The problem with often very good used basses on here is that if you have never had the opportunity to play lots of basses then you haven’t yet homed in on what your likes / dislikes are.  For example I bought a (non-StingRay) bass recently from someone who loves StingRays, I never thought I would own a StingRay because of the shape - but I tried one of his and now its on my bucket list, I was really surprised how much I liked it!

The market is so full of basses, its a personal preference thing and there is so much conflicting information when you are starting out that I think you have to go to a shop and try them.

Also : for sentimental reasons I suggest not selling your first bass, you will probably end up being sad about it in the future 🙂

J

EDIT : Just re-read your post. As it happens my first bass is a Sire M2, its lovely to play and the pre-amp options make it super flexible and fun - definitely try one if you do go shopping!

Edited by Jolltax
Duh
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jolltax said:

As it happens my first bass is a Sire M2, its lovely to play and the pre-amp options make it super flexible and fun - definitely try one if you do go shopping!

I have an M2, and it is lovely to play. I have replaced the Machine Heads with Hipshot Ultralites, The stock tuners were not great. I am also considering replacing the pickups. This would bring the cost close to an M7, so that may be a better bet and still within budget but should not need any modding.

However, I would also look at the G&L Tributes, as suggested above.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2023 at 10:44, Chienmortbb said:

I have an M2, and it is lovely to play. I have replaced the Machine Heads with Hipshot Ultralites, The stock tuners were not great. I am also considering replacing the pickups. This would bring the cost close to an M7, so that may be a better bet and still within budget but should not need any modding.

However, I would also look at the G&L Tributes, as suggested above.

Out of interest, why do you want to change the pups on the M2?